How to determine if cable is shorted?

Alex Goh

Joined Dec 8, 2015
Hi

If i measure a connection ( to ground), does this indicate all 3 cables is shorted?

L1: 0.899kohm
L2: 10ohm
L3: 3.6Mohm

Alex Goh

Joined Dec 8, 2015
I had a issue with my tool, it trip all the way to our facilities but tool circuit breaker did not trip only my GF device trip so i think there was a ground leakage current. It was later confirmed that the below cables was shorted after the electrical engineer troubleshooted. Since i'm not a electrical guy , i was wondering if there is any video that can teach me how to identify whether there is a shorted cables. Does a zero resistance or Open indicate a cable is ok?

1) 1 x cable 11453 from CN11492
2) 1 x cable 11444 from TC11421
3) 1 x cable 11464 from TC11421

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Zero resistance is a short circuit, or continuity is ok,

and anything higher than 10 ohms would be a resistance load,

higher than 1k in a cable would be considered open circuit.

Alex Goh

Joined Dec 8, 2015
So if i measure any point on L1/L2/L3 and get 0 to 1k is consider shorted?The electrical engineer was telling me that looking at the resistance measure, L2 was shorted. But i don't quite understand if L2 was shorted why the mention cable was shorted as well?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
If you specify the type of, as previously requested, you might get an answer.

Is asking how he determined there was a short out of the question?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
To say a cable is "shorted out" you imply that it is Zero ohms between Live and Neutral or L1 to L2, thats what your engineer means.

if you measure the same cable end to end and it reads Zero ohms or upto say 10 ohms, its considered ok.

If the cable from end to end reads higher than 100 ohms to infinity, i would say its broken or Open circuit.

If you can highlight the section of your drawing, or redraw it, we can tell you what to look for.

Last edited: