How to connect a earth leakage detection GFCI/ELCB?

bobdxcool

Joined Feb 12, 2012
My specifications are as follows:
2 in phase 120V lines
1 Neutral
1 Ground

So, I should use a 240V GFCI, right ?

http://www.trci.net/products/shock-shield/user-attachables/high-power-gfci

This is the one I plan to use. 23250 003-1 GFCI

So, connections would be connecting one 120V line to the line wire on gfci, 2nd line wire to the second line wire on GFCI and neutral to neutral and ground to ground.

IS that correct ? Or, am I going wrong anywhere ?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
You should use the GFIC that is designed for the voltage supply to which you plan to attach it. If your mains voltage is 120 volts, you should use a 120 volt GFIC. A 240 VAC GFIC might not work and was almost certainly not certified f0r normal operation at 120 VAC.

bobdxcool

Joined Feb 12, 2012
You should use the GFIC that is designed for the voltage supply to which you plan to attach it. If your mains voltage is 120 volts, you should use a 120 volt GFIC. A 240 VAC GFIC might not work and was almost certainly not certified f0r normal operation at 120 VAC.
So, I should use a 120V GFCI for my application ? Although I have 2 120 volt in phase lines ?
So, I should use a 120 Volt 4 wire 1 phase GFCI, where I can two in phase 120V lines, neutral and ground.
I was thinking of connecting 2 120v lines in series to the 240V GFCI. Will that work ?

sdowney717

Joined Jul 18, 2012
If you have 240vac when measured hot to hot (phase wires) with both hot lines and 120 vac with a hot and a neutral, then you use a dual pole 240vac GFCI breaker in a house panel.
That way ground faults will trip if either hot phase line current flow does not match returning current flow.

Looking at the wiring directions
http://www.trci.net/media/76173/cci_safety_products_brochure_34.pdf

Type B, is the same idea that I see displayed in their wiring diagram.

Question is are you needing just 120 or 240 vac ?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I'm confused. :confused:
First you talk about 1 neutral and 1 ground, and then you talk about 2 120V in-phase lines and a 4 wire GFIC.
So how many wires do you have?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
My specifications are as follows:
2 in phase 120V lines
1 Neutral
1 Ground
(2) 120 volt lines that are in phase with each other are the same as each other. You would measure zero voltage between the (2) lines that are in phase with each other. Why do you think you are working with 240 volts if you can't measure 240 volts with any combination of the wires you have to work with?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Before you worry about using a GFCI you really need to understand how they work. This is from out friends at NEMA and is one of the better explanations out there.While I don't know your location here in the US mains power enters a residence in most cases as 240 VAC "Split Phase". This makes for 240 VAC Line to Line and 120 VAC Line to Neutral. The two 120 VAC lines (240 volts split phase) are 180 degrees apart from each other. Appliances using 240 VAC will vary. There are electric stoves, electric hot water heaters, electric clothes driers, residential HVAC systems and other appliances. You would not for example use a GFCI on the lines going to an electric clothes drier because on many driers the motor runs on 120 VAC from one line to neutral and the heating elements run on 240 VAC line to line. You need to better explain exactly what you are attempting to do and why to determine GFCI requirements if any.

Ron

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
I don't know if this should be posted as a new thread, but anyway here it is. I was taught many years ago that if a 3 phase 380v earth leakage current breaker were connected in series it could be used on a single phase 220v system with double the sensitivity. That is , instead of the normal tripping current of 30mA the new tripping current would be 15mA. The connections would be input at the bottom terminals at N and T and output from the top of N and T to the bottom input at R and S and the final output at the top at R and S. I tried out this configuration by connecting this up to my garden irrigation system and tested it by pressing the test button. Unfortunately this had the result of also causing the ELCB in the main fuse box to jump as well. Why did this happen? Surely if the sensitivity of the garden circuit was much lower than the main circuit why should the latter jump?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I don't know if this should be posted as a new thread, but anyway here it is. I was taught many years ago that if a 3 phase 380v earth leakage current breaker were connected in series it could be used on a single phase 220v system with double the sensitivity. That is , instead of the normal tripping current of 30mA the new tripping current would be 15mA. The connections would be input at the bottom terminals at N and T and output from the top of N and T to the bottom input at R and S and the final output at the top at R and S. I tried out this configuration by connecting this up to my garden irrigation system and tested it by pressing the test button. Unfortunately this had the result of also causing the ELCB in the main fuse box to jump as well. Why did this happen? Surely if the sensitivity of the garden circuit was much lower than the main circuit why should the latter jump?
Never heard of that. Typical GFCI current trip limits here in the US are in the 4 to 6 mA range. The current trip limits are determined by:

GFCIs
The definition of a ground-fault circuit
interrupter is located in Article 100 of the
NEC and is as follows: “A device intended
for the protection of personnel that functions
to de-energize a circuit or portion thereof
within an established period of time when a
current to ground exceeds the values
established for a Class A device.” Following
this definition, a Fine Print Note provides
additional information on what constitutes a
Class A GFCI device. It states that a Class A
GFCI trips when the current to ground has a
value in the range of4 milliamps to 6 milliamps,
and references UL 943, the Standard for Safety
for Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupters.
Thinking about GFCI operation I don't understand how placing the phases of a 3 phase GFCI breaker in series would lower the trip limits?

Ron