How to choose Value of CAPACITOR to be used for 12v to 5v ( 7805 ) Voltage Regulator

Vincentraj

Joined Mar 6, 2024
Hello Sir,
I amViRaj, I have some capacitor selection doubt not about how to chosse fro datasheet because i am enough familiar with that but how to calculate the capacitor value by manually if it is possible pls guid me through some calculation.
Capacitor Range : 0.33uf,0.1uf
Thank you

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Look at the reference circuits in the data sheet -- they all use a 0.33 µF on the input and a 0.1 µF on the output.

That would seem to be a good starting point.

Beyond that, it depends on what the specific issues are that you are trying to address, such as long, resistive power lines or high frequency noise rejection, or what.

kaindub

Joined Oct 28, 2019
On voltage regulators, the capacitors are for stability, not voltage regulation. Just use what's suggested in the datasheet. No calculation required.

jim_TX

Joined Jul 17, 2023
As already mentioned, use the recommended values - 0.33uF (Input) and 0.1uF (output).
As also mentioned, these are for stability - meaning, the 7805 will oscillate if they are not used (especially the 0.33uF).
I learned this lesson years ago when building a micro-computer from a kit. The power supply used a 7805, and did not work when powered up. A colleague suggested adding the 0.33uF across the input and that fixed it.
The 78xx series of regulators is notorious for this. Other modern regulators, not so much.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Consider that the information presented is in the manufacturer's application data, intended to provide information as to how to obtain the best operation of the product. Consider also that while a representative circuit is provided, the internal component characteristics are not mentioned. So it is not possible to exactly understand that circuit.

What I can provide, based on experience, is that the capacitor values recommended will cover almost all of the production variations for that voltage regulator. And that not providing it can lead to both instability and some rather serious oscillations that cause undesired operation modes.

I am wondering just what sort of calculation would be used to analyze the required capacitor value for these devices. Probably one would need to know the frequency response and that immediately becomes both complex and not likely to be accurate enough. And vastly more effort that using values proved to be correct.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have always used the recommended values from the spec sheet and never experienced a problem.
Connect close to the regulator device itself,