How to attach LED on MOSFET

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!

Please post your schematic on this forum. When I follow the link, it wants me to sign up. I'm not interested in doing that.

EDIT: was able to get your wiring diagram. Instead of cartoons, can you draw an actual schematic?
clipimage.jpg

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
fYI, I dunno draw the schmatic diagram.
Your wiring diagram is a mess too.

EDIT: attach modified wiring diagram.
clipimage.jpg

If you're going to do electronics for a hobby, you need to learn to draw schematics, block diagrams, etc. Study some databooks/datasheets that have schematics drawn by professionals. But, bear in mind that even some professionals are clueless (Signetics drew some awful schematics for PROM programming circuits).
  1. Flow of the circuitry should be primarily left to right and top to bottom.
  2. Avoid unnecessary wire crossings and bends. Wires should not cross over symbols or labels.
  3. Devices should be labeled with appropriate designators (R1, D1, Q1, etc) and be assigned values.
  4. Symbols should have inputs on the left and outputs on the right; as much as possible.
  5. Schematics should be black and white, or at least monochromatic.
  6. Don't use too much or too little whitespace.
EDIT 2: Add picture of horrible Signetics PROM programmer circuit
clipimage.jpg
clipimage.jpg

The MOSFET you chose isn't appropriate for your application. RPi GPIO's are 3.3V. The MOSFET you selected just starts to turn on at 2-4V:
clipimage.jpg
This spec means that some devices will only conduct 250uA with a gate-source voltage of 4.0V. You need to select a logic level MOSFET.

If you're actually going to wire in a breadboard, be advised that leads from TO-220 devices will likely damage the breadboard (by warping the contacts). Breadboards were designed to be used with solid #22 wire (0.0638mm diameter). TO-220 leads are 0.7-0.9mm wide; if you twist them 90 degrees, width will be 0.45-0.60mm and they can be inserted without damaging the breadboard.
clipimage.jpg

Last edited: