How much does my computer power supply produce

Cody Burd

Joined Nov 27, 2014
Hi I really don't understand much about power supplies and such but I'm planning on getting a new graphics card with a minimum of 500 volts and I'm not exactly sure how much my computer produces, is there anyway I could find this out so far I believe the max is 230 and I'm really not sure how to tell if that's accurate or not, i'd like to find out as soon as possible because I was planning on buying this graphics card on cyber Monday and I really need it for my computer because you know lag and stuff. If I'm correct about the 230 V as my current power supplies maximum is there any power supply you all would recommend that would be best for my computer, thanks

Last edited:

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Most desktop computer power supplies produce +3.3V, +-5V, and +-12V. The question you should be asking is how many Watts are required to run your new graphics card compared to your old graphics card, and how many Watts reserve you had to begin with.

It is entirely possible that your existing power supply is just fine...

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Try again, you are confusing watts (W), volts (V) and your supply voltage (mains voltage). Check the numbers and try again.

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
I presume your proposed graphics card needs a power supply of 500W minimum? What graphics card are you looking at?

Have a look at the specification label of your existing power supply. Can you see the manufacturer and model number? How many watts is it rated for? How many amps on the +12V rail?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
This one produces 230 of your "volts" or 230 of my Watts.

This one produces 520 of your "volts" or 520 of my Watts.

Generally speaking gpu can draw 75 Watts from PCI-E slot. So if your gpu needs more than 75 Watts, you probably need psu in 500 Watt range.

What gpu are you looking at?

If you want nice gpu, look at nVidia GTX 750 with one fan and GTX 750 Ti with one fan. They are very nice cards and use less than 75 Watts so they get their power from the PCI-E slot exclusively, no extra power connectors from psu. That means that you only need 300-450 Watt psu. I generally just go and buy cheap 500 Watt psu when ever my current one dies, which happens every 3 years or so.

Attachments

Cody Burd

Joined Nov 27, 2014

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
ok thanks, but do you have any idea of a good power supply for my pc
I just buy cheap ones.

One time I bought Antec 500 Watt psu, it died almost exactly a year later. I paid good money for that POS. I don't buy "brand" name psu anymore, as far as I am concerned paying top dollar for "brand" name psu is a waste of money. Just my opinion.

Cody Burd

Joined Nov 27, 2014
I just buy cheap ones.

One time I bought Antec 500 Watt psu, it died almost exactly a year later. I paid good money for that POS. I don't buy "brand" name psu anymore, as far as I am concerned paying top dollar for "brand" name psu is a waste of money. Just my opinion.
ok thanks you've really helped

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
In my opinion buying cheap power supplies is a recipe for disaster especially when running such a powerful and expensive graphics card!

What is the specification of your system?

What is the resolution of your monitor?

Can your processor "drive" a GTX970?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
In my opinion buying cheap power supplies is a recipe for disaster especially when running such a powerful and expensive graphics card!

What is the specification of your system?

What is the resolution of your monitor?

Can your processor "drive" a GTX970?
I am not disagreeing with you, not exactly anyway. But when that Antec POS died, it took the rest of my system with it, so I lost my C2D E6600, 2 gig stick of ram and mobo. You know how they talk about nerd rage... Well, I was upset about it for at least two weeks and I will NEVER buy anything with Antec name on it!

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
About a year ago I bought a Corsair CX600M for about $80, beacuse I feared that my 5 year old noname PSU could die and take all my harddisks with it. I dont care much about the other components, but I really dont want to loose all my stuff like that.
My graphics is Nvidia GTX650 Ti so I also wanted to make sure I left power enough margin at the psu.

Last edited:

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
Their better power supplies use quality Japanese capacitors. You must of bought one their low end offerings?

Last edited:

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Their better power supplies used quality Japanese capacitors. You must of bought one their low end offerings?
True. It was Antec Basiq I think. But a 500 Watt no name psu cost me ~50 USD, that Antec POS cost me 80 USD. The no names last me about 3 years (I had to replace one already), the Antec POS lasted almost exactly 1 year.

I run my pc and GTX 460 almost none stop because I participate in SETI@Home. This pc is literally ON 24/7 for not days, not week, but Months! And it works with no name 50-60 USD psu.