How long does it take to be a part of development team in electronics

ashokraj

Joined Feb 1, 2018
Hello All,
I would like to know the answer for the following question i.e., I have completed my bachelors in electronics and communication engineering, Masters in computer engineering( in USA). I have 1 year of industrial experience, This is my first job. I am trying to be a part of development team and build a project. I am being pulled back by my management saying that, It will take at least 2 to 4 years for you to be a part of the development team.

I would like to know your opinion on this, is the above statement true? Require your answer( All the experienced electronics engineers, Please do respond)

I was hired as a electronics engineer but my role is more like an application engineer.

-
Thanks,
Ashok

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Nonsense. I walked into a company and I became the leader of the R&D team from day one.
Of course, in depends on your knowledge and experience and what you can bring to the company.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
It is different for everyone. A great deal depends on your practical experience, qualifications, and the company attitude. So there is no real definite answer to your question. I think the main thing is your reputation. More so then official qualifications. At least it was in my case.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I would like to know your opinion on this, is the above statement true? Require your answer( All the experienced electronics engineers, Please do respond)
There is no fixed amount of time. It depends on the individual, your current job, qualifications, and the availability of a position in R&D. For some people, it might never happen.

It was one year for me because that's how long I worked in production before transferring to an R&D group.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Also a lot depends on the actual industry your company is working in. There are fields in electronics like stuff for hazardous areas or medical that will need a lot more experience to work without assistance of colleagues than other fields like for example simple consumer electronics.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi Ashok,
If you worked for me and you already had 1 years industrial experience, I would expect you to be making a contribution within 3 months of joining.

E

ashokraj

Joined Feb 1, 2018
Further more, My industry is related to seating industry in furniture, My employer produces control units in 5 digits.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
My son, (chip off the old block), worked for one year as a co-op student with an industrial engineering company. He will now complete his final year towards earning his engineering degree. After a couple of months with the company he became the go-to guy for assistance when others needed help.

Edit: Oh, I should also add, that the reason he was so appreciated at the company was because:
  • He is a good communicator
  • is a good listener
  • explains things to others very clearly
  • a good problem solver
  • is very focused
  • knows where and how to find the right answers
  • always willing to help another person
  • very patient and polite
  • has a great attitude