How far we have fallen

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
1979 Song of the Year Grammy winner. Prue poetry. The words, the arrangement everything. So beautiful it can bring tears to your eyes.

And now Grammy's 2019 award for song of the year. There are no words for the low quality of this trash. In fact the word trash is a compliment. How does this crap even qualify as music? It brings tears to my eyes but for an entirely different reason then the genius of Mr. Joel.

But I will probably be accused of being narrow minded. I am not intelligent enough to understand the real meaning. To that I say trash is trash.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The award is irrelevant . What matters is what the garbage that is considered music today. People will be listening to Joel for the next 20 years or more. You likely won't hear from Gambino two years from now if that.

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Crap. Literally, crap! There are many songs much better. All music isn’t this bad. “Shallow” by Lady Gaga and the Bradley Cooper (Pop Duo Grammy winner) is music and more likely a candidate for Song of the Year. What were they thinking?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
No, I am completely serious. Art has to have an edge. Billy Joel was sappy sentimental pop, not art.

Instead of arguing over what is good music though, let's be thrilled by the range of expression it has, such that the two examples can each be considered to be at the top at its time.

Edit: In the same year, 1979, Pink Floyd released "The Wall".

Bob

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That one you've just mentioned, and "Always a woman to me" ... those too easily qualify as art in my book.
Joel had too many to mention. That is why people will still be playing his music for years to come while Gambino or Glover or what ever he calls himself will be a distant memory in a year or two.

Saluki

Joined Feb 23, 2019
No, I am completely serious. Art has to have an edge. Billy Joel was sappy sentimental pop, not art.

Instead of arguing over what is good music though, let's be thrilled by the range of expression it has, such that the two examples can each be considered to be at the top at its time.

Edit: In the same year, 1979, Pink Floyd released "The Wall".

Bob
So, I looked it up...

Art
1. the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
"the art of the Renaissance"
synonyms: fine art, artwork, creative activity
"he studied art"
  • works produced by human creative skill and imagination.
    "his collection of modern art"
    synonyms: fine art, artwork, creative activity
    "he studied art"
  • creative activity resulting in the production of paintings, drawings, or sculpture.
    "she's good at art"
    the various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.
    "the visual arts"
I'm not seeing anything about having to have an "edge". (Creativity and "edge" are NOT the same thing.)

Now, I myself have listened to "The Wall" waayyy more than anything Billy Joel has done. Floyd was definitely more creative through most of their run. But... There's also that part that goes "producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power." A great many people would put Joel's better work fairly high on the scale, in that regard, and he certainly was not copying others or his own earlier work.

As an aside,

Does Gambino exhibit creativity? Well, musically, no.

Depicting someone graphically being blown away by gunfire, to a "musical" background? Well, not there either (been done in thousands of movies). I suppose I'm not completely jaded - thank God - it still has an emotional power, but who would "appreciate it"? That is a bit scary.

This sort of political statement (anti-gun screed) is creative? Hardly...

However, that last is just the thing. This vid gets an award because... it maxes out political correctness.