How Does One Find An Equivalent Component?

snarf

Joined Jun 7, 2007
As is posted in this Forum there are many sites from where one can find datasheets and component specifications.

Does anyone know of any sites which gives a list of alternative equivalent components?

All comments appreciated.

Thank you.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
As is posted in this Forum there are many sites from where one can find datasheets and component specifications.

Does anyone know of any sites which gives a list of alternative equivalent components?

All comments appreciated.

Thank you.
What component are you looking for?

Some datasheets gives some equivalent components .

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
From the existing component, get a data sheet. Identify the critical parameters that have to be maintained. Do parametric searches on other manufacturers websites.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Mouser's website frequently lists alternatives for a component even if they don't stock the item.

If you are desperate, you could go to NTE Inc's website and see if they make an equivalent replacement. Be prepared to pay anywhere from twice to 20 times the cost of the original component.

snarf

Joined Jun 7, 2007
What component are you looking for?

Some datasheets gives some equivalent components .

Thanks for reply.

I’m not looking for any particular component at the moment but the information does come in handy when one can’t find what is needed.

snarf

Joined Jun 7, 2007
From the existing component, get a data sheet. Identify the critical parameters that have to be maintained. Do parametric searches on other manufacturers websites.

Thanks for reply.

Yes that is one way it could be done but I was thinking that maybe there are sites which gives the equivalent, maybe I am wrong.

snarf

Joined Jun 7, 2007
Mouser's website frequently lists alternatives for a component even if they don't stock the item.

If you are desperate, you could go to NTE Inc's website and see if they make an equivalent replacement. Be prepared to pay anywhere from twice to 20 times the cost of the original component.

Thanks for reply.

I will have a look at Mouser’s web site, any other site that lists equivalents?

NTE would be too expensive for me.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Mouser, Fairchild, and either Newark or Digi-key have parametric search engines.

Once you determine the parameters of your original component, you can go into these parametric search engines, and start narrowing the search by selecting/entering various parameters.

theamber

Joined Jun 13, 2008
You are looking for what is called a "semiconductor crossreference".
If you want to save you may check the ECG,NTE,SK or globalspec website.
It will show you lists of equivalent components.
Companies like ECG build replacements and discotinued items like generic or similar ones from the originals usually cost a lot less than the originals but "may" not be as good.