How does an ESC control multiple motors?

nbernays

Joined Jul 12, 2017
I've noticed that most ESC's, even 2-in-1 and 4-in-1 ESCs, have only one signal wire that interfaces with a device that outputs a PWM signal (a Pixhawk RC controller, for example). How does the ESC send different voltages to various motors when it's only receiving one signal? This question may be more aptly asked as: how are multiple motors' instructions encoded into one PWM output from the Pixhawk?

I currently have two Rule bilge pumps attached to my boat as a means of jet propulsion (to go left, I just turn the right motor on). They are brushed DC motors, and I'm trying to introduce the Pixhawk into my system, and therefore researching brushed ESCs to control my motors. I am most happy with the QuicRun WP 860 Dual Brushed:
http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=357&filter_attr=0
but I still have a couple questions: what is the output voltage range of this ESC, and most importantly: it only seems to have one signal wire, so how does it control both motors?

Thanks!

mtonge

Joined Apr 19, 2016
One signal wire for multiple devices, could be using a communication protocol to speak to each device. 1-wire is a serial control protocol using one data wire and a ground reference.

mtonge

Joined Apr 19, 2016
I'm guessing, but the maximum pwm output from the micro-controller will be about the same as the supply voltage (vcc) usually 3.3v - 5v, and maybe 100mA. The output should connect to a hefty motor controller to power the motors. The QuickRun motors use 60A continuous and up to 360A peak. Wow, that's a lot of amps.

nbernays

Joined Jul 12, 2017
I'm guessing, but the maximum pwm output from the micro-controller will be about the same as the supply voltage (vcc) usually 3.3v - 5v, and maybe 100mA. The output should connect to a hefty motor controller to power the motors. The QuickRun motors use 60A continuous and up to 360A peak. Wow, that's a lot of amps.
I've read elsewhere that that peak voltage number is kind of bogus, and if you draw current anywhere near that (say above 70A or so), you'll fry the ESC.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The "manual" for this ESC is crap. You cannot control multiple motor independently with this ESC. You need two ESCs. But don't take my word for it; many have already tried:

hobbywing.PNG

nbernays

Joined Jul 12, 2017
The "manual" for this ESC is crap. You cannot control multiple motor independently with this ESC. You need two ESCs. But don't take my word for it; many have already tried:

Thank you! This was extremely helpful. What applications might you want two motors doing exactly the same thing? Like in a car, I want my two front wheels doing the same thing, but that's why I have an axle and one motor, instead of separate motors in each wheel.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Rock crawler 4wd (front & rear axle), plane with 2 motors, boat with 2 props (and a rudder), battlebot with 2 saws, etc.