how do you make a preset toggle ff like in a 4029 decade counter?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
My 4029 is fried and I want to make the same type of flip-flop that it has.
thanks!
Search archive.org - they have some very old Signetics applications books for various logic families.

There are many pages of detailed logic diagrams of what's in a lot of MSI logic blocks.

tavish

Joined Nov 12, 2014
Search archive.org - they have some very old Signetics applications books for various logic families.

There are many pages of detailed logic diagrams of what's in a lot of MSI logic blocks.
thanks for not being sarcastic. I did try Google, that's how i found this website.

I already have schematics.

Last edited by a moderator:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What do you mean by "make the same type of flip-flop"? Do you want a replacement counter chip, individual FF chips, or make it with discrete transistors?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
thanks for not being sarcastic. I did try Google, that's how i found this website.
"sarcastic"?! - tell me what you've been smoking, I want some.

You're not the first to give a nasty reply when I've tried to help - this forum has some odd rules, none of which weed out the idiots!

tavish

Joined Nov 12, 2014
What do you mean by "make the same type of flip-flop"? Do you want a replacement counter chip, individual FF chips, or make it with discrete transistors?
Oh, I didn't mean make them, I just wanted to know what type of flip-flops were in it. My schematic only shows them as boxes.

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Generally speaking unless otherwise indicated the flip-flops represented by boxes in MSI (Medium Scale Integration) chips are D-type flip-flops. Other possible types are the T (Toggle), the SR (Set-Reset), and the JK flip-flop.

The Toggle flip-flop can be made from a D-type flip-flop by connecting the Q_BAR output to the D-input. The Q output will change to the opposite state on each clock edge.

For how flip-flops are made from gates, checkout the following
https://www.google.com/search?q=Fli...v&sa=X&ei=9bxmVIXjNYT4yATWqIC4BA&ved=0CB0QsAQ

tavish

Joined Nov 12, 2014
Thanks, it's a counter and say TE, PE, and P. these are the only inputs besides the clock, so I think it's a toggle. I mainly need to know what the TE does because I'm going to make a stem-step schematic. I'll try the link.

oops. meant step-by-step.

Yay! found out it's not fried. Still want to know about the FF's though.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I was thanking you for not being sarcastic like the other guy. I'm a kid.
Its fairly usual for someone to *BE* sarcastic when they reply to someone they think is being sarcastic - your opening line looked like that.

Popular Electronics did occasional tutorials on logic circuits as they emerged onto the market late 60s/early 70s.

I downloaded the magazines from electronicsandbooks - but the site seems to be offline when I just tried it! Although it sometimes takes a few goes to log in at the best of times.

Assuming you get there, you can navigate the folders for a load of other magazines - but you'll need a big hard drive.

tavish

Joined Nov 12, 2014
Thanks, but my schematics don't show all those inputs, nor do I know what most of the new ones do.

I don't put words together well. My hard drive is almost full but i'll see how far I get.

I'm not good at putting words together. my hard drive is almost full but I'll see how far I get. thanks!

nope. couldn't handle it.