How do I hook an old speaker up to an aux jack?

jackattacknoobslayer

Joined Nov 14, 2016
I recently found an old speaker from a home theater system. It uses normal speaker wire. Is there a way to hook it up to an aux jack, as to play music from a phone?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I recently found an old speaker from a home theater system. It uses normal speaker wire. Is there a way to hook it up to an aux jack, as to play music from a phone?
Depends on if the Aux Out on the phone requires amplification. A good start would be to read the manual for the phone. Even if the Aux Out could drive a speaker I doubt it would provide much audio power and labeled Aux I doubt it will drive a speaker. Anyway, the phone owners manual is where to start.

Ron

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
An old speaker may not be very efficient in terms of decibel per watt. Also, a phone can't output more than a fraction of a watt. So, don't expect more than a talking volume from the speaker/phone combo - possibly less.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
I'd be cautious you don't overload the phone with the speaker. Old speaker? Who cares what happens to that. Good cell phone? Yeah, I'd care more about that for sure.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I totally agree. It would be a rare phone that can drive an 8Ω load. I'm guessing they have built-in overload protection in case the AUX cable gets shorted, but I wouldn't want to rely on that.

The AUX output is almost certainly a line-out signal meant to drive a 50KΩ load, not a speaker. Unless you mean the headphone jack, which can drive loads in the hundreds of ohms. Either way, I would not hook a home theater speaker to my phone without an amplifier in between.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I totally agree. It would be a rare phone that can drive an 8Ω load. I'm guessing they have built-in overload protection in case the AUX cable gets shorted, but I wouldn't want to rely on that.

The AUX output is almost certainly a line-out signal meant to drive a 50KΩ load, not a speaker. Unless you mean the headphone jack, which can drive loads in the hundreds of ohms. Either way, I would not hook a home theater speaker to my phone without an amplifier in between.

Well, you can pull numbers out of your waste hole, or, you can look at your headphones and realize they are usually 16 or 32 ohms. A phone (output impedence of about 4 ohms) can drive a pair of 16 ohms speakers - it doesn't sound great but it is not going to explode.

I would recommend an amplifier.

Last edited:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Well, you can pull numbers out of - - -
Actually I was thinking of the AUX OUT on my amplifier. It isn't meant to drive headphones, more like a higher impedance like another amp, a slave amp or something. But you're right, the headphones jack is often called the AUX Output. My car stereo has an input for AUX and it's on the front end of the head unit. It's for being directly connected to a cell phone or MP3 player of some sort. Yeah, it will drive headphones with no problem. But keep in mind those head phone speakers are right in your ear. Try shoving a 12 incher in your ear. :mad:

Good night Gracie.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Well, you can pull numbers out of your waste hole, or, you can look at your headphones and realize they are usually 16 or 32 ohms.
My post said a phone can drive loads in the hundreds of ohms, which is a true statement. There are plenty of headphones available in that range. No need to pull them out of my chocolate starfish.

https://www.cnet.com/news/headphone...d-to-know-about-low-vs-high-impedance-models/

Some phones can drive lower impedances. iPhones use earbuds that are ~40Ω. Do you know for a fact that what the TS's phone is capable of?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
We have so little information that we're just speculating.

When I think of a home theater speaker, I think of a speaker that's 18"x18"x36".

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
My post said a phone can drive loads in the hundreds of ohms, which is a true statement. There are plenty of headphones available in that range. No need to pull them out of my chocolate starfish.

https://www.cnet.com/news/headphone...d-to-know-about-low-vs-high-impedance-models/

Some phones can drive lower impedances. iPhones use earbuds that are ~40Ω. Do you know for a fact that what the TS's phone is capable of?
What kind of a crappy engineer are you? Your answer is like, you are claiming you are right because "drive loads in the hundreds of ohms" is somewhere in the "not wrong" universe. He was asking if it can drive a speaker (most common impedence us 8 ohms). Your answer* caused more confusion than help.

* Read as: "whatever came out of your turd slicer"