How do I Delete it Crom Malware.?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I do not Know if anybody can help but I will Ask?

I just Ran Malwarebytes and it found No Threats.

So I Booted Win10 into Safe Mode and go into regedit.

Under Software I See Google so I go into it.
Then I See Crom so I go into it.
Then I See a 1. File Called com.microsoft.browsercore so I Right Click it.

I Click Delete and it Asks Me if I want to do this I Click Yes.

Then it Says Error Deleting File.

How do I Delete it?

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I am guessing but Crom might be needed by the Chrome browser? Did you ever install it?

Since you ran a scan and don't find any threats, why are you worried about this file?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Because the File com.microsoft.browsercore can not be Deleted so this Tells Me in some way Crom may have it's Hooks in My System.

20 Years Ago I Un Installed the Crom Browser and the next Day it was Back on My DeskTop and in My Ad Remove Programs List.

The only way I could Stop it from coming back was to go into My Regedit and go though everything and take it out by Hand.

I Know this is 20 Years after and this is a New System but I do not like Crom at all.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Maybe you need a (shudder) clean install. I am coming to that conclusion with my 10 year old XP installation and my almost-as old OSX installation.

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
Have you tried using the command line or Powershell (in Admin mode)? The "del" command is very effective at forcing files to be deleted.
Specifically, using Powershell or CMD, navigate to the file location with the "cd" command, then "del /f [filename]"

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
If I use the Command Line to Delete the File com.microsoft.browsercore do I do this?

Type the Full Path of the com.microsoft.browsercore File.

Then Type Delete at the End?

ZCochran98

Joined Jul 24, 2018
you would type something like:
Code:
del /f "[insert path to file]\com.microsoft.browsercore"
Or whatever the file is called.
I did a little digging, btw: that file, if it is called that, is a legitimate part of Microsoft. It's the program that connects the browser (in this case, a prior installation of chrome) to parts of the OS. It's not harming anything, but removing that instance of it shouldn't be a problem either. You're getting an error deleting it probably because Microsoft doesn't want you deleting a file that it thinks is still important.
I just thought I'd let you know before you did anything.