How do i connect a digital meter to solar panel to read amperage

mrel

Joined Jan 20, 2009
Hi
How do i connect a digital meter to solar panel to read amperage from solar panel.
Enclosed pictures of the digital meter and picture how i connect the digital meter to read voltage from the solar panel, need know how to connect digital to read amperage.
mrel
IMG_20180729_154559.jpg IMG_20180729_151836.jpg

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
This appears to be this meter....
Do you have a shunt with it (the black thing) and those two plugs with wires??

Put " 100V 100A DC Digital Voltmeter Ammeter Amp Volt Meter Current Shunt Motor Solar" in google search images.

mrel

Joined Jan 20, 2009
This appears to be this meter....
Do you have a shunt with it (the black thing) and those two plugs with wires??

Put " 100V 100A DC Digital Voltmeter Ammeter Amp Volt Meter Current Shunt Motor Solar" in google search images.

jaredwolff

Joined Jul 1, 2017
The eBay page said that you don't need the shunt if you're measuring < 10A.

Looks like it's possibly used as a low side current measurement. The diagram is.. frustrating to say the least. Are you using a DC-DC converter to step up/down the voltage from the panel?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You have to love Chinglish. Take for example "The black thin wire connects nothing and you should use insulator to wrap it to avoid short circuit". How can a wire that connects nothing create a short circuit? Think about it. The majority of these meters come out of the box less any decent supporting documentation. I have one laying around which came with a shunt so I keep meter and shunt together because neither has any documentation let alone a drawing. This one fortunately includes a small cartoon and does mention DC 15 V and what looks to be 2 A.

Was the captioning "Solar Panel" added to what looks to be a battery?

Ron