How about Teflon as opposed to glass covered solar cells?

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
I read something today about what DuPont was doing with Teflon in order to create a more lightweight and more efficient solar cell. Instead of certain types of glass covering the cell they came up with a Teflon covering that improved the efficiency of the cell. Does anyone out there have any knowledge in relation to this method? I've lately been working on a small scale solar system with a 2.5W solar battery charger but the cell is encased in some sort of high tempered glass. I get fairly excellent results with it but would a Teflon coating as opposed to glass make it more efficient?

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
This probably has nothing to do with the reason for it, but a quick Google search revealed that light travels through Teflon at 0.70c, which is slightly faster than the speed of light through glass, which is 0.67c.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I'm not sure why Teflon is being proposed for solar panels, but if you're in an area with frequent hailstorms, rooftop panels should covered with some impact resistant covering.

Last edited:

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
This probably has nothing to do with the reason for it, but a quick Google search revealed that light travels through Teflon at 0.70c, which is slightly faster than the speed of light through glass, which is 0.67c.
Interesting! Thanks for the response tjohnson. Very much appreciated!

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
Another possible reason that I thought of is that the average electrical resistivity of Teflon is 100 trillion times greater than that of glass (Wikipedia). I don't know if that would have anything to do with it or not.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Could be that DuPont are just looking for another market opportunity to sell more of their Teflon? ;).
The goal of every company selling a product or service. Some times I give free samples to professors or other companies so they use my product in their new applications, sometimes I spend money on research/product development to create new end uses and push the idea into the market.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
They must have something, because they've had to sue SunEdison for infringing on the DuPont patent.
Amazing how the Teflon trade name and DuPont are so well linked in everyone's mind. DuPont is getting ready to spin off a bunch of old-school commodities, including fluoropolymers and the Teflon brand name. The company has already been formed, Chemours, and I am guessing they will have an IPO in the next year or so.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
if you want to try teflon, try it, different materials absorb light at different wavelengths, like lexan is used around here to absorb infra red from lasers, for safety. also, teflon has a tendency to corrode some metals, thats why teflon coated wire wrap wire is silver or silver plated.

Rolland B. Heiss

Joined Feb 4, 2015
if you want to try teflon, try it, different materials absorb light at different wavelengths, like lexan is used around here to absorb infra red from lasers, for safety. also, teflon has a tendency to corrode some metals, thats why teflon coated wire wrap wire is silver or silver plated.
Interesting!