Home built off grid electricity saver

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Watch this space, i will build something usefull !!
We are not saying you can't build something useful with the right equipment but you are specifically asking for how to exploit a small (a small fraction of a dollar per day) peak shaving strategies 'loophole' in off demand energy rates using equipment not designed for high energy return efficiencies. UPS systems are designed, engineered and cost justified to protect expensive electrical devices and possible valuable information stored on them. The increase in electrical cost from electrical energy losses of the UPS system is like paying for an insurance policy for a event you hope never happens.

There are hybrid Peak shaving systems designed to integrate solar, batteries and grid-tie systems. The grid -> battery -> load losses are countered by the solar panel energy gains.

A random example of a system:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Take a look at this link:

Battery charge / discharge efficiency

You will only get back about 70% of the energy you put into the battery.

Then you have to invert it to use it and that will be about 90% efficient.

So the usable energy is 0.7 x 0.9 = 0.63 of the energy put in.

If you buy the energy at a 33% discount, you still lose.

Bob

Tesla23

Joined May 10, 2009
Where I am, my overnight rate is 33% of the peak daytime rate. Running non time sensitive things, like pool pumps, overnight result in considerable savings.

The way I see it is that once storage becomes cheaper that these differences will reduce / disappear as the utilities will use it, probably more efficiently that I can. In the meantime, there may be some benefit. One scheme I have seen is for air conditioning in summer where you can freeze a large block of ice overnight for use for cooling the next day. Some rough calcs suggested that a cubic metre or so would do. The efficiency is then mainly down to how well it can be insulated.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Where I am, my overnight rate is 33% of the peak daytime rate. Running non time sensitive things, like pool pumps, overnight result in considerable savings.
Probably because coal-fired power stations can‘t be started and stopped as easily, so the power company has more of an interest in evening out the power consumption.
It would be just my luck if they change the rates just after I invest money in equipment to take advantage of it.
One scheme I have seen is for air conditioning in summer where you can freeze a large block of ice overnight for use for cooling the next day. Some rough calcs suggested that a cubic metre or so would do. The efficiency is then mainly down to how well it can be insulated.
Exactly what is meant by a “ton of air conditioning”! (The cooling generated by a ton of ice melting in One day)
12000BTU/ hour or 3.5kW

Juhahoo

Joined Jun 3, 2019
One solar panel can produce/save more energy/dollar/per day than by storing energy to a battery at night from the grid. For example heating a boiler with solar is the easiest application.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Wow, just like all the rest of the posts on this forum, negativaty all the way, hahaha
You can take it as negative, your prerogative. But those here see it as a waste of time, and getting no value for the time spent. Because we understand what you don't seem to or even want to. And like for you, it's our prerogative.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Wow, just like all the rest of the posts on this forum, negativaty all the way, hahaha
We are just trying to save you a bit of grief most of us have already had with similar ideas before we knew better. Even some ideas that are good engineering fail when faced with practical considerations.

Prove us wrong and save the world. :)