Hockey puck SCR anode/cathode?

kenw232

Joined May 18, 2009
So the way I have it labeled is correct then. The top there is the anode, the tab at the bottom is for the cathode..

Last edited:

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
No the bottom is the Anode in the pic normally.
Max.
I'm guessing an SCR that big wouldn't be harmed by the voltage from a 12V transformer or the current to light a car indicator bulb.

A 100R resistor should do for feeding the gate from one end then the other.

If the bulb lights half-bright before you apply anything to the gate - the SCR has an integral diode.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
As a side note, please be advised that proper (mechanical) 'clamping' is essential to device operation and integrity -- and not merely for heat-sink efficiency! It seems the construction 'expects' a precise compressive force (should be found in the Specs) --- Indeed many such units test (electrically) open while 'uncompressed'...

Best regards
HP

kenw232

Joined May 18, 2009
As a side note, please be advised that proper (mechanical) 'clamping' is essential to device operation and integrity and not merely for heat-sink efficiency! It seems the construction 'expects' a precise compressive force (should be found in the Specs) --- Indeed many such units will test (electrically) open while 'uncompressed'...
HP
Thats interesting, it won't work unless I physically clamp it down with a screw..? I assume the hole in the center goes right through it then. If anyone knows where to buy custom heat sinks for these To-200AB packages please post. Something like below does not have a hole in the center to bolt it to the SCR so I have no idea how to properly clamp it.
http://www.digikey.ca/product-search/en?x=4&y=22&lang=en&site=ca&KeyWords=882-200AB

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Thats interesting, it won't work unless I physically clamp it down
It may or may not test OK out of compression, however it will not be reliable...

I assume the hole in the center goes right through it then.
I very much doubt it -- I've not encountered a device designed to be clamped via a transfixing fastener...

Hardware, or 'leads' thereto, should be available from the manufacturer...:)

Best regards
HP

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Thats interesting, it won't work unless I physically clamp it down with a screw..? I assume the hole in the center goes right through it then. If anyone knows where to buy custom heat sinks for these To-200AB packages please post. Something like below does not have a hole in the center to bolt it to the SCR so I have no idea how to properly clamp it.
http://www.digikey.ca/product-search/en?x=4&y=22&lang=en&site=ca&KeyWords=882-200AB
You'll probably want to start with a significant block of aluminium for the heatsink, tap 2 or 4 lengths of studding to stick up vertically beside/around the puck.

AFAICR: one firm I worked for fashioned an insulating cross member out of Tuffnol. That of course tightens down to clamp a sheet aluminium top contact.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
My recollection of the mounting of these devices is that manufacturers also sold mounting clamps with calibrated compression nuts that incorporated a belville washer that "releases" at the correct compressive loading on the device surfaces. Also it was recommended that the number of compression / release cycles be minimised - lest the internal electrical bonding mechanism degraded.

Last edited:
As Per the attached datasheet, the recommended pressure is 500 kg --- While it is a simple matter to calculate the requisite torque via consideration of fastener thread pitch, please note that highly effective (e.g. PTFE based) thread lubricant is essential is acceptable accuracy to be achieved...

Best regards
HP

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
FWIW said compression is required to establish/maintain internal connection --- I've not researched the rational behind such design...:confused:

Best regards
HP
It seems unlikely that there isn't some form of bonding on the internal junctions, but I'm guessing that there will be some flexing of the mounting plate faces when its correctly torqued down, that would be taken into account in design and manufacture - that tiny bit of flexing has to be there for it to reach its full peak current spec.

Although I vaguely remember reading that the old "top hat"/stud devices were assembled as a semiconductor pellet soldered to the header, then the shell was seam welded round the flange as another assembly - the terminals that passed through the glass seal made pressure contact with pads on the die.

It seems unlikely that there isn't some form of bonding on the internal junctions, but I'm guessing that there will be some flexing of the mounting plate faces when its correctly torqued down, that would be taken into account in design and manufacture
FWIW In my own experience new devices (directly sourced from reputable distributors) often test 'open' (~30% incidence) sans a (minimum) compressive force of 50kg - 100kg -- Curious indeed...:confused:

Best regards
HP

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
FWIW In my own experience new devices (directly sourced from reputable distributors) often test 'open' (~30% incidence) sans a (minimum) compressive force of 50kg - 100kg -- Curious indeed...:confused:

Best regards
HP
Once I worked for a firm that used those press-fit rectifiers like the ones in car alternators.

As the firm were a bunch of cheapskates, they had an unskilled lackey pressing them into the heatsink on a pillar drill with the chuck unscrewed just the right amount to clear the solder tag.

While I was on production test, I rejected quite a few that were visibly damaged (3 dents around the solder lug) - apparently the service dept got more than their share of rectifier jobs.

markdem

Joined Jul 31, 2013
Hmm. Make one wonder why it would be manufactured in such a way in the first place.
I too had a look at a range of vendors and can't find any literature that mentions anything, besides the required force\toque, too why it is so.