High Z in io port

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Often Used on Address and Databus lines, allows more than one output device/s to be connected to the same Bus line, without loading the other driving/receiving devices.

E
Is this a Homework problem.?

Alex1700

Joined Jan 12, 2020
hi,
Often Used on Address and Databus lines, allows more than one output device/s to be connected to the same Bus line, without loading the other driving/receiving devices.

E
Is this a Homework problem.?
No
In computer systems IC just uses 5v power, it will have a loading effect?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
OK,
If the devices are CMOS technology, there will off course be some current draw by the device from the 5V supply, in order to keep the device active.
But the actual output will not source or sink current.
E

Did you read the link I posted in Post #4.?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
An output pin is either logic low or logic high.
There is a third state, i.e. disconnect the output from the circuit. This is the Hi-Z state.

Alex1700

Joined Jan 12, 2020
hi,
OK,
If the devices are CMOS technology, there will off course be some current draw by the device from the 5V supply, in order to keep the device active.
But the actual output will not source or sink current.
E

Did you read the link I posted in Post #4.?
After reading the link you share right now I have a better understanding of high Z and tristate buffer thanks bro

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
In days of old,
( the 8051 is what 40 plus years old )

Digits were great big 5v logic
( a step down from the 12 v logic I started with )

Things were parallel,
if you wanted to send 16 bits from a to b, you used a 16 bit single ended bus,

If that bus was one direction,
say form CPU to an output, that works great,
the CPU can drive the bus all the time,

But what if you want if you wanted two things to send data out,
then if both were on the bus driving all the time, then you would end up with a conflict,
say one bit was being driven high by one driver, and low by the other !

This where tri state comes in,
it enables a device to "stop driving the bus"
its a very high impedance, and resistively a minimal load,

This also allows a device that is in tri state, to listen to the bus,
i.e and input .

This is how buses as S100, PCI and ISA worked.

Not used so much now days,
buses are serial, and point to point, such as PCIe,

The 8051, had one port that had real drivers, up and down,
the other ports, were what wed now call open collector,
a pull down, needing a pull up on the board to make a high,

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hi-Z state is the input mode. The pin is able to read input high vs input low signals on the pin. In this mode, the microcontroller does not influence the circuit by sourcing or sinking any current. Hi-Z means high impedance (high resistance)..

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
A pin in a high impedance state might be an input of merely disconnected from the external circuit. That is the third state beyond Low and High - why it is called tristate.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It should really be referred to as three-state, not tri-state. The term tri-state is a registered trademark of National Semiconductor (now part of TI). However, I think that it is considered dead and non-revivable by the USPTO (but since TI continues to use it, they have common-law rights to it and, legally, no one else can use it for the same purposes). Having said that, I suspect NS (and now TI) have long since given up trying to defend it.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
It should really be referred to as three-state, not tri-state. The term tri-state is a registered trademark of National Semiconductor (now part of TI). However, I think that it is considered dead and non-revivable by the USPTO (but since TI continues to use it, they have common-law rights to it and, legally, no one else can use it for the same purposes). Having said that, I suspect NS (and now TI) have long since given up trying to defend it.
I think you missed the announcements from NS about 30-years ago (early 1990s) when they said their failure to enforce and protect their trademark caused several to become a standard term of commerce so they elected not renew those trademarked terms - including Tri-state. TI never had anything to do with the decision.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Yes, I missed that. The trademark (0941335) expired in '93 and was not renewed at that time, but NS did file a renewal in '97 that was granted (2138646) and then renewed in 2007 for an additional ten years, meaning that it was transferred to Texas Instruments when they bought NS in 2011. The trademark was not renewed in 2017 (which would have been a TI decision) and was administratively cancelled in 2021 by the USPTO. It's status under common-law can really only be determined if tested in the courts by someone else attempting to trademark it.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Yes, I missed that. The trademark (0941335) expired in '93 and was not renewed at that time, but NS did file a renewal in '97 that was granted (2138646) and then renewed in 2007 for an additional ten years, meaning that it was transferred to Texas Instruments when they bought NS in 2011. The trademark was not renewed in 2017 (which would have been a TI decision) and was administratively cancelled in 2021 by the USPTO. It's status under common-law can really only be determined if tested in the courts by someone else attempting to trademark it.
Thanks for looking that up. Did they get the new Trademark for a circuit input or for the Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia invitational basketball tournament?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks for looking that up. Did they get the new Trademark for a circuit input or for the Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia invitational basketball tournament?
For "integrated circuits and data sheet manuals sold as a unit therewith".