High Voltage/Amp Transistors Pinball

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Yeah, your right. We have both numbers.
But the 3.3 would explain why the Darlington didn't work either.
When we want to use the Darlington works as a switch then it is get into a bad situation, the situation maybe like these -- because only the second bjt could works as a transistor switch, but the first bjt is works as two diodes, so the second Vce of njt as Vce2 = Vin - Vbc1= 1.4V-0.7V = 0.7V, W2=Vce2*Ic2=0.7V*3.5A=2.45W, so you can see it why it is getting hot, when the Ic is higher then the Vce also will be higher.

I was tested the situation of darlington pair as above, but I didn't test the circuit as TIP120, probably it has a better situation.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
When we want to use the Darlington works as a switch then it is get into a bad situation, the situation maybe like these -- because only the second bjt could works as a transistor switch, but the first bjt is works as two diodes, so the second Vce of njt as Vce2 = Vin - Vbc1= 1.4V-0.7V = 0.7V, W2=Vce2*Ic2=0.7V*3.5A=2.45W, so you can see it why it is getting hot, when the Ic is higher then the Vce also will be higher.

I was tested the situation of darlington pair as above, but I didn't test the circuit as TIP120, probably it has a better situation.
If he only uses 3.3 volts and the Vbe of the TIP120 is 2.5 volts, that only leaves .8 volts across his 220 ohm base resistors - less than 4ma. With an Hfe of 500 to 1000 that's just not enough for 10 amps.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
So @adam450. What voltages do you have available.
What is your micro?
Are you writing your own code? So you could make a high or a low the on state?
Are you testing the solenoid with the plunger in it?