high power AC current source 500a 120v (60KW)

RshRshabc

Joined Sep 12, 2020
Hi
I want to build an AC Current source that have range between 0 to 500a in maximum 120v.
I have no idea how or is it possible or not.
Can any one give me some instructions or References please?

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
... If there are motors or compressors as loads, as in air conditioning, you might want to increase the anticipated generator capacity to 100 KVA in order to avoid voltage sag during peak usage. A certain fraction of any inductive load is going to be reactive in nature.

RshRshabc

Joined Sep 12, 2020
... If there are motors or compressors as loads, as in air conditioning, you might want to increase the anticipated generator capacity to 100 KVA in order to avoid voltage sag during peak usage. A certain fraction of any inductive load is going to be reactive in nature.
My employer wants to use this in a chemical project for plating parts ...

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I want to build an AC Current source that have range between 0 to 500a in maximum 120v.
I have no idea how or is it possible or not.
My employer wants to use this in a chemical project for plating parts ...
Then your employer needs to hire a competent engineer who already knows how to do this stuff, and not leave it to someone who has no idea how and has to ask on a public forum. You are in WAY over your head and dealing with voltages and power levels that are potentially lethal.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
http://www.douglas-transformers.co.uk/custom-made-single-phase-isolating-transformers.html
The list only goes up to 25kVA, but they can do bigger.
Have plenty of different voltage taps, and use some contactors to switch between them to get the right current. If it's just a plating bath, then I doubt it has to be too accurate.
If you have the taps on the primary side, you will only have to switch 270A.

By the way, you need DC for electroplating. It doesn't work with AC.
Your employer must have lots of confidence in your ability, 60kVA transformers don't come cheap! You'll not get much change out of £5000.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
It may be possible to place two or three DC generators in parallel ... At the same output voltage, in order to achieve the necessary current requirement. You would have to supply the appropriate fuel ... diesel, gas, or propane. This option would bypass the transformer expense obstacle. ... It would depend on the economics of the situation.
DC Generators

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Why do you need 120 volts for plating ? Plating would normally require less than 10 volts. As others have said why was AC specified for plating ? Are you sure that you boss really knows what is required for electroplating.

Les.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Any power supplies used in plating applications, the larger ones anyway, were all powered by 3 Phase 480 VAC 60 Hz. buss power. The ones we used were made here in Cleveland, Ohio by DEC (Darrah Electric Company) and those supplies were huge. The plating solutions were also heated, some using steam heat exchanges and some using electric elements. They are also expensive, very expensive. The last place, in the entire facility I wanted to be was anywhere near the plating department.

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
220v single phase 50Hz
You mention a plating application for your boss, isn't this a industrial application? If so, a plant generally has access to a higher power service than a residential kind, and generally much higher voltage source.
This is not an application you would see in a residential area, at least in this country.
Where are you located?
Max.

RshRshabc

Joined Sep 12, 2020
Maybe this is it. I am not fully informed. They asked me for AC variable current source.

You mention a plating application for your boss, isn't this a industrial application? If so, a plant generally has access to a higher power service than a residential kind, and generally much higher voltage source.
This is not an application you would see in a residential area, at least in this country.
Yes this is an industrial application but they would rather to use simple 220v AC source power. what do you suggest?

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE: Bertus and 20 Amps: all what over some 3 kW are going to 220/380 network last part figures - 380. Then 60 kW:3 phases=20 kW per phase and 20 000/380=53 Amps. Note that most of industrial house fuses are 60 A or 160 A thus some 200 kW should not be a big problem except the residentual blocks..

Janis59

Joined Aug 21, 2017
RE:""Why do you need 120 volts for plating ? Plating would normally require less than 10 volts""
Youre not true, nowadays there are ultra modern porous plating process when pores are the goal - demandig some 5-20 A per cm2 at voltages 100-500 Volts. Process is well explored by Polish Katowice University. I was twice at commandments to help it so I know. The multitude of small dancing sparkles are forming on the surface thus the plating have zillions of submilimeter pores. Pore size may be obtained between micron and hundreds of microns. Process name is PEO.