high freq cutoff beta

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
Showing the solution to homework is ok if it's done after the student has attempted a solution on his own, but wouldn't it be better to show the student only as much as he needs to then complete the rest of the problem on his own? Why preempt his experience of working out as much of the solution as he can? It's doing the work himself that lodges his knowledge more permanently in his brain.
You may have a good point here.

I found out to my dismay that when I attended lecture, but didn't do the homework, during exams I discovered that my understanding was deficient.
I think we all learned that lesson! ;)

It's all too easy to think one understands when a problem solution is demonstrated; actually solving some problems on one's own is crucial.
Another good point.

When a tutor goes completely through a solution, this is more lecture, and that's ok, but there needs to be some problem solving by the student, where he has to do as much of the work without assistance as possible. It's when he finds he can't do it that he realizes his understanding is deficient and needs more work.

It's more specific than just differences in approaches to teaching; teaching (as I dichotomize it) encompasses lecturing, tutoring (which is just one-on-one lecturing) and assigning homework.

I think we all agree that the lecture ("...showing the solution...") is an integral part of teaching. I claim that tutoring is not homework; it's personalized lecturing.
I worked at a tutoring mill based on campus at our local Community College. Many students had bad attitudes that kept them from learning. I tried to impart a positive philosophy of learning to them, but most thought I was being silly. I found that with these it was best just to do the homework and explain it as needed. Otherwise they'd complain about my tutoring. Some of them, who did not understand the explanations thought I didn't know what I was talking about; their perception was that I was unqualified and just giving them a line of manure. I'm sure this shaped my approach to tutoring. Then there was the exceptional student who really wanted to learn and I'd gladly spend all my working time with them. stupid falls into this class.

Where we disagree is with respect to dealing with a student asking for help with homework. Doing as much of the work as possible by himself creates a stronger imprint on the brain than just watching someone else do it.
No, we actually agree when it comes to serious students.

I think something vitally important is accomplished by a student who solves his homework with as little help as possible. It means more intellectual effort on his part to think about it long and hard until he sees how to do it. It's practice. It's just like learning to play the violin. Having somebody show you how to do it day after day can't substitute for doing it yourself, over and over. Work, work, work. That's why it's called homework.
I think you've made a lot of good points. Now that I understand your point of view I can see why my jumping in with the solution frustrated you. I sure won't do it again. The next time I see you leading a student to a solution I'll stay out of it. My sincere apologies.

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
PRS,

No one said you broke any rules. You certainly may continue to assist those in need in whatever manner you wish. I was just giving you the background on the genesis of those "posted" guidelines.

You might consider the guidelines were written not with tutoring in mind, but with troubleshooting, specifically, where the OP went astray.

I applaud your efforts. It is a very difficult task to identify those who just want you to do their homework. Most times, that type just won't provide an attempt at the solution. How far you go in your assistance is certainly up to you. If you were going to use the "example" model, similiar to the OPs question, and one certainly used by tutors everywhere, that is commendable. Doing the OPs exact question is doing their homework, in my opinion.

We may disagree, but you would find there is more agreement than disagreement in the processes we use.
As a result of this discussion I've come to see how I frustrated Electrician with his approach. I was being rude. I apologized to Electrician and I'm no longer going to interrupt anyone when I see them leading a student to a solution with the Socratic method.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
PRS,

You may "see" another avenue along the same lines that might click in the OPs mind. This doesn't mean the other responder was wrong, it just means the approach to the solution is different.

In the end, we all hope the OPs leave better prepared for their future endeavors. There are many paths to being prepared. Your command of the language, when explaining a topic to someone, might be superior to mine, because of the differing words we choose to use.

Jumping in and attempting to help is surely welcomed. There will always be differing opinions as long as there are humans interacting.

The rules are mostly here for civility and some form of process, that process seperates these forums from all the other electronic forums out there. Free for alls are never productive. The moderators enforce both the civility and in a some extent, the processes. Look at any of the HHO threads and you'll see both in action.

The best example of all working together was a few years ago when a California Rocket Club was designing the parachute deployment section of their rocket. Looking at the current project forum, you'll see varying degrees of assistance. That young girl who went to the olympics with her own designed USA led sign is the most recent example of the good will in these forums. I've began reading the sci.electronic. newsgroups and various other electronic forums over the last 16 years, but this is the one I read the most ... because of the people. You are in good company, and I'm sure everyone welcomes your presence.

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
PRS,

You may "see" another avenue along the same lines that might click in the OPs mind. This doesn't mean the other responder was wrong, it just means the approach to the solution is different.

In the end, we all hope the OPs leave better prepared for their future endeavors. There are many paths to being prepared. Your command of the language, when explaining a topic to someone, might be superior to mine, because of the differing words we choose to use.

Jumping in and attempting to help is surely welcomed. There will always be differing opinions as long as there are humans interacting.

The rules are mostly here for civility and some form of process, that process seperates these forums from all the other electronic forums out there. Free for alls are never productive. The moderators enforce both the civility and in a some extent, the processes. Look at any of the HHO threads and you'll see both in action.

The best example of all working together was a few years ago when a California Rocket Club was designing the parachute deployment section of their rocket. Looking at the current project forum, you'll see varying degrees of assistance. That young girl who went to the olympics with her own designed USA led sign is the most recent example of the good will in these forums. I've began reading the sci.electronic. newsgroups and various other electronic forums over the last 16 years, but this is the one I read the most ... because of the people. You are in good company, and I'm sure everyone welcomes your presence.
Thanks Joe. Being fairly new to this, I'm learning, too. I wouldn't like it if I were tutoring someone and some know-it-all passing by threw the answer on the table. No, I see Electrician's point. I'll be more sensitive from now on.

The Electrician

Joined Oct 9, 2007
As a result of this discussion I've come to see how I frustrated Electrician with his approach. I was being rude. I apologized to Electrician and I'm no longer going to interrupt anyone when I see them leading a student to a solution with the Socratic method.
At no point did I think you were being rude.

I'm sure we all hope to see you continuing to offer help to those who ask for it.