Hey look what I came over

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
My parents was giving the garage a deep clean up. And they came over my old steam engine and tools. Have not seen it for over 25 years. It need some cleaning and oil. But I will try to fire it up. Once nerd always a nerd:) In to days world of safety requirements. I do not know if they sell such thing any more. The elements used methylated spirit as fuel.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I love it! Get that thing working and post some videos... in time for Christmas!:)
And decorate it with a string of flashing SMD LEDs and a 555 tooter!

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Looks a bit like a Mamod Minor engine. Like many British manufacturers, the company concernened has had its share of difficulties in recent years, but they still seem to be in business. The modern equivalent of that little model would cost you the better part of £100, or $155, apparently.

http://mamods.piczo.com/mamodsteamengines-stationaries?cr=5&linkvar=000044

http://www.mamod.co.uk/product_stationary.asp

If you do get it working, one challenge might be to light LEDs by generating power from it. That might actually be quite difficult with the limited torque available.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I don't think so. I had a friend who made his own steam engines. The torque can be quite substantial.
Still sounds like another good challenge.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Looks a bit like a Mamod Minor engine. Like many British manufacturers, the company concernened has had its share of difficulties in recent years, but they still seem to be in business. The modern equivalent of that little model would cost you the better part of £100, or $155, apparently.

http://mamods.piczo.com/mamodsteamengines-stationaries?cr=5&linkvar=000044

http://www.mamod.co.uk/product_stationary.asp

If you do get it working, one challenge might be to light LEDs by generating power from it. That might actually be quite difficult with the limited torque available.
he he let me see if i can find a small DC motor and turn it into a generator. Free energy for sure. It could well be a mamod engine. It still have number plate so I can take a look.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
aaah! that's so cool!
I bought a model steam engine a couple of years ago; it was similar to that one markD posted, with the engine seperate from the boiler, but it was similar to yours in that it came with several little "work stations" all bolted to a board that were all belt driven from the engine. It had a bench grinder, a table saw, and something else, with axles and belts.
I don't know where it is now :(

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I think they sell little fuel cells for em. I think sterno or something like that. The hobby shop should have it or be able to tell you where to get it.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hey,

I also got a machine like that, some place at my parents.

I used red spirit (Rødsprit) or acetone, for fuel. Acetone burned really fast. :eek:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Time to get back to this topic. Due to a painful back problem. I could not do anything with the steam engine. But in the past slow days. I have managed to do something with it. It got cleaned up. And all moving parts were re oiled. Besides the layers of dust. It was nothing wrong with it mechanically. So the tank was filled with water. And the burner was soaked with methylated spirit. I think my oil job was to thorough. As some of oiled dripped into the burner camber. Producing some odour. And before I knew it, I heard angry foot steps succeed by some cackling about me stinking out the house:eek:. Just the same as I was young. Some things never change:rolleyes:
Anyway the steam pressure started to build up. The trick to start it, is to spin the flywheel with the finger. And after some trails it started and then accelerated to full speed. I was amazed by the engine speed. Then I used a rubber band. To drive the hammer tool. I think that engine will have more than enough RPM and torque to drive a dynamo. But that has to wait. Just like old cars. Then I had most fun a rubber seal assembly in the safety valve gave up. And that was the end of trail. Until I get a replacement rubber seal assembly.
I made some pictures
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/album.php?albumid=228

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Now all you have to do is connect a generator, claim it generates 5KW, and you're ready to go!
Oh my...Why did I not think of that. And the best thing. The energy will be free. But I think i start in smaller scale. A pity I dumped some old casette deck. Some time a go. I could have perhaps have used the motor as a generator.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Oh my...Why did I not think of that. And the best thing. The energy will be free. But I think i start in smaller scale. A pity I dumped some old casette deck. Some time a go. I could have perhaps have used the motor as a generator.
And don't forget to apply for your gov't grant! A few billion should be enough.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I'm jealous. I remember these things and always wanted on as a kid.

Anyone remember the toy cannons? A friend or two had one of those and I wanted one too.

Can you imagine these kind of toys for kids today? There would be a ton of lawsuits.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I'm jealous. I remember these things and always wanted on as a kid.

Anyone remember the toy cannons? A friend or two had one of those and I wanted one too.

Can you imagine these kind of toys for kids today? There would be a ton of lawsuits.
What kind of toy cannon? Thats one of the many things I collect. Toy cannons, machine gun toys and tin toys of any kind from the 1960s on back.

Some where I also have a steam engine similar to these, except it uses a electric heating element to make the steam.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
What kind of toy cannon? Thats one of the many things I collect. Toy cannons, machine gun toys and tin toys of any kind from the 1960s on back.

Some where I also have a steam engine similar to these, except it uses a electric heating element to make the steam.
It really fired. If I remember correctly, you loaded it with a kind of paste that I am guessing was gun powder. Can't remember how it was ignited. Maybe there was a percussion cap too.