Here's inbred obso.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A good argument for Linux. I still have some XP machines, which I will eventually get rid of or convert to Linux.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I had to convert to Linux for professional reasons at work. I can say that this system is not as streamlined for my workflow as Windows was.

I'm especially unnerved by the need to do "sudo X" each time I want to operate anywhere outside my home folder.

Also, installing things is radically different than Windows, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just another overhead.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
so what?
Do people think the computer is just going to stop working?
I don't get the problem.. Of course I can afford to update my computer/OS more than every decade..

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...I'm especially unnerved by the need to do "sudo X" each time I want to operate anywhere outside my home folder.
This is called "security", something many Win users are unaware of (don't take offense -- I'm not suggesting you don't know what security is).

Here's a bit of a hint for you: if you need to run multiple commands as the root user, start with this:

Rich (BB code):
sudo su -
This makes you a super user (in the context of the current shell) until you type

Rich (BB code):
exit
FYI, the security model on Linux is the major reason why you don't need to run an AV, unlike Windows.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
...I can say that this system is not as streamlined for my workflow as Windows was...
Funny. I say the exact same thing when forced to use a Windows box.

I used to help family and friends manage their Windows computers. I quit after Vista...became way too complicated and time consuming.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
This is called "security", something many Win users are unaware of (don't take offense -- I'm not suggesting you don't know what security is).

Here's a bit of a hint for you: if you need to run multiple commands as the root user, start with this:

Rich (BB code):
sudo su -
This makes you a super user (in the context of the current shell) until you type

Rich (BB code):
exit
FYI, the security model on Linux is the major reason why you don't need to run an AV, unlike Windows.
I never had a problem with security in Windows. I always knew how to cover my back. So far (knock on wood) I never had a system, which I worked on, get infected to the point of formatting, nor have a mail address get spam invaded. The times I formatted systems where when they where used and abused so much that they couldn't handle themselves anymore.

Instead, I fear that I may break the Linux installation every time I install something.

Oh, well... it's a matter of time, I guess.

---
The bad thing about the arrest of support for WinXP is that security updates will no longer be issued. Thus, supposedly, systems will be more vulnerable to external attacks and have more back doors. Supposedly. As in: they are now safe and they won't be afterwards.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
From the link:

"Though not in wild, and they are so less in number (when compared to counterpart OSs) that they can be counted on fingers!"

I rest my case.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Figures from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

With 1.48% of the market, why create a virus that would effect that number of users when you can go after almost 80% of the market. They choose their targets for maximum effect.

I don't know of anyone who goes for the minimum effect with respect to creating viruses. After all, they want them to go "viral"

It's like saying the MacOS is immune.

Every system is a potential victim.

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Figures from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

With 1.48% of the market, why create a virus that would effect that number of users when you can go after almost 80% of the market. They choose their targets for maximum effect.

I don't know of anyone who goes for the minimum effect with respect to creating viruses. After all, they want them to go "viral"

It's like saying the MacOS is immune.

Every system is a potential victim.
You must be aware that Linux runs 90% of all web servers -- the ones with the big fat internet pipes that could do massive damage if compromised...

Linux also runs nearly all supercomputers -- including the ones that control some of the worlds major stock exchanges.

And, Linux is the underlying kernel for Android, the largest selling smartphone platform.

Don't forget about set top boxes...

And you say Linux is not popular enough to write even one single effective virus for it?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You must be aware that Linux runs 90% of all web servers -- the ones with the big fat internet pipes that could do massive damage if compromised...

Linux also runs nearly all supercomputers -- including the ones that control some of the worlds major stock exchanges.

And, Linux is the underlying kernel for Android, the largest selling smartphone platform.

Don't forget about set top boxes...

And you say Linux is not popular enough to write even one single effective virus for it?
I agree that the surveys about operating systems focus on desktop and laptop computers and ignore all the devices with an operating system. TiVo, Generic PVR, smart TVs and other streaming devices, even some entertainment/backup camera/gps systems in automotive.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Not necessary. If everyone would just dump Windows in exchange for a real operating system (not necessarily Linux), virus writers would be out of a job.
Until they figure out where everybody went? or are all the other operating systems permanently virus proof?:rolleyes:

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I use my computer to browse the www, write documents, create presentations and run some CAD/Simulation software.

Windows does this well. It is fast enough for me, I am familiar with its layout and I've never had any problems (that I'm aware of) with its security.

In other words, it does the job great for me, and millions of other users.

How does this make it any less of a 'real' OS?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I tend to agree with Sparky. That and the fact that I am too lazy to want to learn a new system. I have never had a virus unless I was following instructions from my internet server, "Turn off your firewall and load this disk before using our service". It was a gigabyte of FAQ and I had 6 viruses when it got done loading!:mad:

Other than that, the worst problem is that XP slows down because of downloaded internet junk after a few months and then I load the back-up copy. 10 minutes and I'm back in business. Now I have a Vista machine, operating for about a year, and it hasn't slowed down enough that I can tell it's any different from day 1.