Help

micro

Joined Feb 10, 2006
Hi! I need to use an infrared diode to calculate the number of coins drop, may I know what type of infrared diode is suitable? I also need to do use a motor to vibrate the coins to make it fall down the slope, may I know what kind of motor can I use?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

Choose an IRLED with an output at the best wave number for your recriver. Any motor will do as long as it's out-of-balance enough to vibrate when it spins.

micro

Joined Feb 10, 2006
Originally posted by beenthere@Mar 26 2006, 04:22 PM
Hi,

Choose an IRLED with an output at the best wave number for your recriver. Any motor will do as long as it's out-of-balance enough to vibrate when it spins.
[post=15468]Quoted post[/post]​

Beenthere, thanks for your kind reply. Can you please let me know what kind of IRLED and motor can I use because I'm an electronic newbies and very interested in electronic. Can your spare some precious time to enlighten me? Thanks. :)

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by micro@Mar 28 2006, 04:50 AM
Beenthere, thanks for your kind reply. Can you please let me know what kind of IRLED and motor can I use because I'm an electronic newbies and very interested in electronic. Can your spare some precious time to enlighten me? Thanks. :)
[post=15506]Quoted post[/post]​
The IRLED can be anything, but it depends on the reciever - so choose some pair with the same wavelenght or ask the salesman in the shop.

The motor... Have you ever seen a vibra motor from a cellphone? You can use any motor you have, but you have to put something non-balanced on the shaft to make it vibrate. The power of the vibrations depends on the weight, and on the power of the motor.

If you are going to buy everything, I can´t tell you what exactly you should buy. I don´t know where you are from and what things your store has.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
Find an Old PC mouse. Inside it you will find 2 pairs of IR TX and RX diodes (with a slotted wheel between each pair).
I've used them before in similar apps (coin operated switch).
Dont mix up the Transmit, and recieve diodes.... they only work one way. If you look at the circuit you will see the TX has one leg to earth, and the other via a resistor to 5 volts. The RX is similar, but also has a line from the diode/resistor junction heading off to the I.C.
Use the same config and resistor values and a 5 volt supply. Should be fine for the small distances you need..(and cheap)

micro

Joined Feb 10, 2006
Originally posted by Gadget@Mar 29 2006, 04:36 AM
Find an Old PC mouse. Inside it you will find 2 pairs of IR TX and RX diodes (with a slotted wheel between each pair).
I've used them before in similar apps (coin operated switch).
Dont mix up the Transmit, and recieve diodes.... they only work one way. If you look at the circuit you will see the TX has one leg to earth, and the other via a resistor to 5 volts. The RX is similar, but also has a line from the diode/resistor junction heading off to the I.C.
Use the same config and resistor values and a 5 volt supply. Should be fine for the small distances you need..(and cheap)
[post=15568]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks Garget. Do you have the PC mouse circuit diagram? Just because I need three pairs of transmitter and reciver and I just have one old mouse. If you have, can you please let me know? If I need to separate the infrared transmitter and receiver around 6cm, it still can detect the coin with the pc mouse transmitter and receiver? Thanks.

Gadget

Joined Jan 10, 2006
No, I don't but you should be able to find one on the net. Actually, thinking about it I was wrong. There arn't 2 pairs per mouse, but 4 pairs.
2x tx and 2x rx diodes per wheel (of which there are 2) to sense direction.
So long as there isn't too much ambient light around they should work fine at 6cm