Help with UHF RFID technology

fneutm

Joined Oct 20, 2016
Hi,
I'm working with a hospital helping them counting the gauzes/compresses that they use during a medical operation. The idea is that the number of gauzes they will use be the same that an electronic device would count by the end of the operation, and that will be reflected in a counter. The objective? To end with the human error that comes from the counting of gauzes used in an operation (inefficient and archaic process, bad counting--> gauzes are left inside bodies, among others).
The problem is that a lot of times, because of the blood, the gauzes stick together, so the electronic device must identify if this happens when the gauzes are thrown to the trashcan, and count all the gauzes separately.
To do this, I was recommended to use UHF RFID adhesives in each gauze, so that a UHF reader (that would be placed in the trash can) reads each UHF adhesive that is in the gauzes that are thrown to the trashcan. Then, each UHF adhesive that is read by the UHF reader, adds +1 to the counter with an arduino properly programmed, and reflects this on a display LED.
Why UHF RFID technology? They have a range of several meters and can read multiple tags.
I'm open to any other cheaper solution.
Also, I'm from other country, so sorry for the spelling mistakes.
I need to know if this is valid, and if so, what materials should I buy.
Thanks a lot!!!!