Help with relays (Arduino project)

filipmr

Joined Jan 2, 2021
So if anyone worked with this kind of relay before, can you show me a design that you used to power anything (for example a light bulb) there are a lot of designs on internet, but they are all different, also I live in Europe.
Also I want to use it with a Arduino.

Attachments

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
@bertus has nailed it. The 3 screw terminals are where the load connects. NO means normally open, or off and disconnected. NC means normally closed, on, circuit completed. "Normal" means with the relay coil unpowered, the default position. You decide which behavior you want by where you place the leads.

For a lightbulb you can switch either the hot line (black wire in most U.S. home wiring) or the neutral (white wire). It's conventional and safer to switch the hot side.

It may be obvious but don't bring both power wires to the relay. Connecting them would blow up your relay and trip the circuit breaker.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
Even though some of these relay modules are fitted with an opto-isolator, they do not provide isolation to the driving transistor or relay coil.
Only the relay contacts provide the isolation to the load.

E

filipmr

Joined Jan 2, 2021
@bertus has nailed it. The 3 screw terminals are where the load connects. NO means normally open, or off and disconnected. NC means normally closed, on, circuit completed. "Normal" means with the relay coil unpowered, the default position. You decide which behavior you want by where you place the leads.

For a lightbulb you can switch either the hot line (black wire in most U.S. home wiring) or the neutral (white wire). It's conventional and safer to switch the hot side.

It may be obvious but don't bring both power wires to the relay. Connecting them would blow up your relay and trip the circuit breaker.
Thank you, that helped