please can somebody please help me with circuit on picture in attachment - specifically What I do not understand how transistors work?
Attachments
-
113.2 KB Views: 31
I think it uses current to strangle the regulator: at about 6A through the top Xsistor, the Vdrop across the 0.1 resistor turns the other transistor on and starts stuffing current into the input of the 7805. This will very quickly cause the 7805 to go into current limiting (at about 1.5A) and it will force the output voltage down and shut the whole thing down.If I were doing this circuit (and there may be something I'm missing that would make this not a feasible idea) I would have split the 40Ω and put some of it between the input of the 7805 and the collector junction of Q2. This way, as more current was drawn it would cause the voltage to the regulator to fall until it finally drops out of regulation when the voltage across it gets down to about 2V. I think this would require also putting a resistor between the 12V supply and the emitter of Q2. Probably something in the 0.5Ω range. But I need to consider it more before I conclude that this would do what I want, which is to gracefully strangle the regulator to effect a overall current limit.
This just doesn't strike me as good design -- and maybe I'm wrong to feel that way. I just think that the current limiting feature of the regulator, or the thermal shutdown feature, should be seen as a failure mode and should not be relied upon in normal operation. But I can see the argument saying that this is okay to do.I think it uses current to strangle the regulator: at about 6A through the top Xsistor, the Vdrop across the 0.1 resistor turns the other transistor on and starts stuffing current into the input of the 7805. This will very quickly cause the 7805 to go into current limiting (at about 1.5A) and it will force the output voltage down and shut the whole thing down.
I never said it was a good design, I would not put it in anything for my own use. But the 20 years I worked at national Semi, I saw it thousands of times. It's a cheap way to juice up the current and make a 5A regulator. It is super valuable to have the on board current limit/temp limit, you lose that with an external transistor but you save a lot of money.This just doesn't strike me as good design -- and maybe I'm wrong to feel that way. I just think that the current limiting feature of the regulator, or the thermal shutdown feature, should be seen as a failure mode and should not be relied upon in normal operation. But I can see the argument saying that this is okay to do.