Help with Op-Amps Design

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Yes, your messy long wires all over the place are causing the opamp to oscillate at a high frequency and to pickup all kinds of interference.
With the circuit connected, please show the power supply voltage on the oscilloscope set to show 1V per division.

TedOlsen

Joined Oct 24, 2020
Yes, your messy long wires all over the place are causing the opamp to oscillate at a high frequency and to pickup all kinds of interference.
With the circuit connected, please show the power supply voltage on the oscilloscope set to show 1V per division.
Thank you for all your help. I will try to get back to it tomorrow.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Does it work with the flow-switch open? That 56 ohm resistor in the transistor base looks rather too low. The op-amp might be struggling to drive it (although it doesn't really explain why it oscillates)
How long is the cable to the flow switch? Op-amps really don't like driving long leads (That DOES make them oscillate). Put 100 ohm between op-amp output and cable to the flow-switch, and change the base resistor to something like 10k.

TedOlsen

Joined Oct 24, 2020
Does it work with the flow-switch open? That 56 ohm resistor in the transistor base looks rather too low. The op-amp might be struggling to drive it (although it doesn't really explain why it oscillates)
How long is the cable to the flow switch? Op-amps really don't like driving long leads (That DOES make them oscillate). Put 100 ohm between op-amp output and cable to the flow-switch, and change the base resistor to something like 10k.
I'll try that. I'm hoping to put the flow switch up away from the OpAmp in series with the relay coil. There is really no need to have it coming to the little PCB. I'll try your suggestions. Thank you.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
You tried to smooth the output of the opamp with a capacitor.
Every opamp oscillates at a high frequency if a capacitor to ground is at its output. For the TLV271I, its datasheet shows in fig. 17 that it oscillates if the capacitor value is about 600pF or more. 600pF is only 0.0006uF.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Every opamp oscillates at a high frequency if a capacitor to ground is at its output. For the TLV271I, its datasheet shows in fig. 17 that it oscillates if the capacitor value is about 600pF or more. 600pF is only 0.0006uF.
That’s why it doesn’t like long cables on its output!

TedOlsen

Joined Oct 24, 2020
Oooops. I'll take that out. Thank you. Heading up now to experiment more.