Help with efficiency problem

foxdove

Joined Sep 18, 2017
A small energy harvester generator needs a mechanical work function of 9.5 Newtons of force moving through 1.5 millimeters distance.
The electrical output of this generator produces 120 microjoules. Questions: 1. How much mechanical energy, in microjoules, is produced to operate the generator by 9.5 Newtons 1.5 millimeters? 2. What is the efficiency of the system?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I assume this is homework.

You are given the mechanical work that is done. Question #1 is asking you to express that mechanical work in the same units that output is measured in. Once you know this quantity, can you not calculate the efficiency?

foxdove

Joined Sep 18, 2017
I assume this is homework.

You are given the mechanical work that is done. Question #1 is asking you to express that mechanical work in the same units that output is measured in. Once you know this quantity, can you not calculate the efficiency?

foxdove

Joined Sep 18, 2017
I know how to calculate the efficiency but I am trying to get another opinion to convince someone that does not believe me. If you could give your opinion I would most appreciate it.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That's the answer I get, but I must add that I'm uncomfortable with one aspect of the question. To get to this answer, we have to assume that one 'stroke' of the input mechanical energy produces the packet of output energy that is given. That's a reasonable assumption but it is not explicitly stated. The energy is just given as a total and not quoted per stroke or per unit of time.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
That's the answer I get, but I must add that I'm uncomfortable with one aspect of the question. To get to this answer, we have to assume that one 'stroke' of the input mechanical energy produces the packet of output energy that is given. That's a reasonable assumption but it is not explicitly stated. The energy is just given as a total and not quoted per stroke or per unit of time.
I agree that it's a reasonable assumption -- and about the only reasonable assumption that can be made with the information given.

foxdove

Joined Sep 18, 2017
It is a German company that wants to licence some of my energy harvesters to replace theirs since my patented generators are far superior in power out and duration time. See our UK website where we sell my products.I'm from the UK but live now in NY where I do my R&D work.
https://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/energy-harvesting-c6
They are saying that my generator is less efficient than theirs. WIth mine, it takes 1.2 Nm to push 5 mm and I get an output of 600 microjoules for ~200 msec. They get 120 uJ for 2 msec.

Thanks for the help,

David

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It would seem to depend on what's important. You are generating 600 uJ / 200 ms for a power output of 3 mW. They are generating 120 uJ / 2 ms for a power output of 60 mW.

Your "1.2 Nm to push 5mm" can't be converted into work since Nm is a not a force, but energy. So you haven't given enough information about yours to calculate an efficiency number.

foxdove

Joined Sep 18, 2017
It would seem to depend on what's important. You are generating 600 uJ / 200 ms for a power output of 3 mW. They are generating 120 uJ / 2 ms for a power output of 60 mW.

Your "1.2 Nm to push 5mm" can't be converted into work since Nm is a not a force, but energy. So you haven't given enough information about yours to calculate an efficiency number.
Sorry I meant 1.2 Newtons and I just measured it again and the distance is 3.5 mm.

foxdove

Joined Sep 18, 2017
Sorry I meant 1.2 Newtons and I just measured it again and the distance is 3.5 mm.

You are not saying that if I generate 600 ujoules for 200 msec, the 120 ujoules for 2 milliseconds produces more power?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You are not saying that if I generate 600 ujoules for 200 msec, the 120 ujoules for 2 milliseconds produces more power?
By definition, yes, the power is much higher for a 120µJ pulse lasting 2ms. The cumulative energy depends on the frequency of the pulses, which we don't know yet.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
By definition, power is work per unit time, or the rate at which work is done. Energy (work) and power are not the same thing.

A typical candy bar liberates about the same amount of energy as a stick of dynamite. The energy is the same, but the power is not even comparable.

foxdove

Joined Sep 18, 2017
By definition, yes, the power is much higher for a 120µJ pulse lasting 2ms. The cumulative energy depends on the frequency of the pulses, which we don't know yet.
Their pulse is 15 Vp pulse for 2 milliseconds, mine is 23.4 Vp sine wave 200 milliseconds frequency is ~46 Hertz. With their generator, they can only send 1 radio telegram and with mine, we can send 5 telegrams, we use more info in our digitally encoded telegrams because we have a longer transmission.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Their pulse is 15 Vp pulse for 2 milliseconds, mine is 23.4 Vp sine wave 200 milliseconds frequency is ~46 Hertz. With their generator, they can only send 1 radio telegram and with mine, we can send 5 telegrams, we use more info in our digitally encoded telegrams because we have a longer transmission.
Not if their pulses are more frequent. What of they can run at 1kHz?

We are still just guessing at the overall application you are dealing with. Better questions get better answers.