Help with charger/battery/plug-in mix

DarkAvenger

Joined Jan 9, 2012
I'm pretty deficient with circuit design, so I was hoping someone might help me out a little! I have a situation where I'd like an internal 9.6V battery with a port to charge it. The battery will run a motor of sorts that will incorporate an On/Off or On/On/Off switch. Ideally, I want to be able to charge the battery while the switch is off and plugged in, however, I would like to run the motor(switched on) from either the battery while it is not plugged in, or the power supply(probably DC 9V) while it is plugged in. An added bonus would be a dual color LED to indicate whether the battery is charging or fully charged. Any help or suggestion is appreciated!

mcasale

Joined Jul 18, 2011
A little more info would help.

Is this a standard 9V battery? Is it NiMH, alkaline, or something else?

How much current does the motor take?

Charging batteries is not as easy as you think, unless you're not worried about starting a fire.

A level monitor is easy with some comparators and LEDs. What sort of DC power supply do you have?

DarkAvenger

Joined Jan 9, 2012
Yes, I've been reading up on charging batteries. I realize this is a complicated process, so I was hoping for some ideas and experience. I'm looking to charge a 9.6V 2000mAh NiCH cell pack(previously used for airsoft) The power source is a 300mA 9V AC to DC wall plug. The motor I'm unsure about, however it shouldn't be more than any pretty small motor used in hobbies. I've been looking at circuits based on chips that detect the leveling off/drop-off after the battery is fully charged as well simpler solutions such as voltage detection and perhaps rough temperature monitoring. A main factor is going to be price, even if performance/efficiency suffers a little, though not to the point of trickle changing.