Help with Ceiling fan spd control

mike_in_sd

Joined Feb 11, 2011
I have a remote control ceiling fan that needs a new remote control recvr. Thinking this may be a project, I used my junk box rheostat to vary the ac voltage to the fan to see if it was controllable. It did not alter the speed (much). How does a remote control recv module produce the usual 3 spds ?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I have a remote control ceiling fan that needs a new remote control recvr. Thinking this may be a project, I used my junk box rheostat to vary the ac voltage to the fan to see if it was controllable. It did not alter the speed (much). How does a remote control recv module produce the usual 3 spds ?

A rheostat would an enormous waste of energy not to mention a fire hazard. Companies like Lutron have very suitable solutions that are backed by years of engeering experices and safety. Why are you risking burning your house down when you can buy a fan control for $30 or $40 US?

mike_in_sd

Joined Feb 11, 2011
Thanks spinnaker, I wasn't even suggesting that I use a rheostat to control the fan. I was just seeing if adjusting the voltage controlled the speed, thats all. And it did NOT. It was just a quick test that I was glad I did because I was surprised that it ran the same speed at 117v as it did at 40v. If the variable voltage would have controlled it I would have built a circuit that allowed me to continuously alter the speed, not just have 3 speeds. Now, can you tell me how the remote receiver controls the speed of the motor so that I can have a basic plan for my project ??????

mike_in_sd

Joined Feb 11, 2011
Cool man, thanks for the link. I feel better about not knowing now though. Non of the answerers were
sure and some answers were actually contradictory to others. Bottom line appears to be adding different
capacitances in series with the motor changes the speed. Already seems like a screwed up project so I guess
I will just order the darn 3 spd replacement box. Thanks for the try though.
Mike