Help with audio mixer and 120hz noise

DonLduk

Joined Jun 12, 2017
Hello.
I'm building a very simple audio mixer using the NE5532. I wanted to keep it simple and mix 2 stereo inputs (a line-in and a bluetooth device). So I would get 4 inputs. I mean "simple" after trying eternally to no success mixing the 4 inputs with a quad-amp (LM3900).

So now I just have the 4 inputs into the inverting input, to use the opamp's impedance as a buffer so the signals add properly. It works great, simple and quick. This mixed mono audio signal goes into a poweramp (+500watt).

Nevertheless, I'm encountering the following issues and I would like to request help from you guys:

1) When power-on. I get a 120hz hum for about 30 seconds, which disappears and fades. This is the spectrum for the first 30 seconds:

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 9.08.45 PM.png

2) After 30 seconds, the hum continues but less prominent. The music is way louder at this point than the hum. The hum increases as you increase the power-amp's output stage. With this I can live because it's like a guitar amp in the bedroom, it won't be perfect. Nevertheless, this is the spectrum:

Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 9.09.50 PM.png

3) While doing the mixer, I powered the power-amp output stage by itself (no mixer, no ic) and didn't get "booms" and loud pop sounds at the output. Now after adding the mixer, I get a loud pop noise on power-on and power-off. I'm sure this has to do with the opamp in the mixer or the bluetooth device's behaviour. I'm not sure if I should decouple or add extra resistors.

This is the whole schematic for the mixer and it's power source. All the elements soldered are shown in the drawing. as I said, after trying and trying on a 3900 quad amp mixer I decided to go back to basics and add signal. Sorry I don't have a software to diagram it or simulate it.

WhatsApp Image 2017-11-01 at 20.56.05.jpeg

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Is that dotted ground line connected to the transformer center-tap?
Why is it dotted?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Are you using a star ground system for the power supply, the mixer and the power amp?

DonLduk

Joined Jun 12, 2017
Is that dotted ground line connected to the transformer center-tap?
Why is it dotted?
Hello. Yes it is the center tap. It's dotted for just to clear the visibility. It splits the volts to +14v and -14v in VCC and -VCC respectively, and is my ground in the circuit.

Are you using a star ground system for the power supply, the mixer and the power amp?
This power supply is for the pre-amp tone and mixer. The power amp, output stage and spakers have another power supply (+45v / -45v) with larger capacitors. The ground for all is the central coil tap of both coils. Which goes for the grounds of the inputs, outputs, opamps etc.