Help With Applying For SSI And Medicare

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I've just turned the magic age of 64 years and 9 months so I'm eligible to apply for Social Security and Medicare.

However, I've tried to apply for Medicare using the on line application and I keep getting an error for the part that asks for "Health Insurance Information". I'm supposed to fill in a date that asks "What Date Did Health Insurance End?" or check another line that says "Health Insurance Has Not Ended". If I check either YES or NO on that line, I always get an error message and the application cannot be submitted.

I've also tried calling the Social Security help line (at 1-800-633-4227) and I get a message that I will be put on hold for an agent to discuss my case - - - - - - and the waiting time will be at least 1 Hour and 15 Minutes!!!

A prime example of when you're dealing with any federal government bureaucracy, you always must be prepared to get trapped in the Twilight Zone. o_O

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I've just turned the magic age of 64 years and 9 months so I'm eligible to apply for Social Security and Medicare.

However, I've tried to apply for Medicare using the on line application and I keep getting an error for the part that asks for "Health Insurance Information". I'm supposed to fill in a date that asks "What Date Did Health Insurance End?" or check another line that says "Health Insurance Has Not Ended". If I check either YES or NO on that line, I always get an error message and the application cannot be submitted.

I've also tried calling the Social Security help line (at 1-800-633-4227) and I get a message that I will be put on hold for an agent to discuss my case - - - - - - and the waiting time will be at least 1 Hour and 15 Minutes!!!

A prime example of when you're dealing with any federal government bureaucracy, you always must be prepared to get trapped in the Twilight Zone. o_O
Next time, vote for someone who cares about you. Encourage your friends and neighbors to do the same.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
The problem with bloated and inefficient government bureaucracies has been around longer than I have (over 65 years) and voting isn't going to change things one iota. Politicians don't care about anyone except those who contribute $$$ and most voters rightly believe democracy is nothing more than a charade.

Furthermore, government employee unions will throw up road blocks to anything that streamlining any process that results in layoffs.Case in point: the post office used to have self serve kiosks (like the ones in every supermarket) where you could weigh packages, pay the postage, and get a sticker for your package. However, the postal workers union got rid of them claiming that automation would reduce the need for manpower. So now, people are waiting in line for 20 minutes to perform a transaction that would take only 1 minute at a self service kiosk.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The problem with bloated and inefficient government bureaucracies has been around longer than I have (over 65 years) and voting isn't going to change things one iota. Politicians don't care about anyone except those who contribute $$$ and most voters rightly believe democracy is nothing more than a charade.

Furthermore, government employee unions will throw up road blocks to anything that streamlining any process that results in layoffs.Case in point: the post office used to have self serve kiosks (like the ones in every supermarket) where you could weigh packages, pay the postage, and get a sticker for your package. However, the postal workers union got rid of them claiming that automation would reduce the need for manpower. So now, people are waiting in line for 20 minutes to perform a transaction that would take only 1 minute at a self service kiosk.

Don’t be foolish, none of what you wrote is the cause of your lack of service at SS.

https://www.dcreport.org/2017/08/17/white-house-pushes-social-security-staff-cuts/