Help with a switching power supply.

Mellontikos

Joined Apr 15, 2015
Hello everyone.

New guy here. I'm mostly an IT guy, but I do electronics as a hobby. With that said, I'm am by no means an expert on electronics, but do understand the basics.

Anyway, I have a line mixer here (sound mixing) called the Soundcraft EFX8. The mixer just decided to not power on at all a couple of weeks ago.

So I tested the fuse of course, and it was fine. So I took out the power supply and tested everything I could (diodes, resistors, chokes, mosfets, etc).

There's some parts I am unsure how to test, for example, there's a IC on board that I have no clue how to test, and the main transformer (which I am assuming is a step down transformer) which I have no idea how to test either.

I see two MOSFET's in there, one is in the high voltage side of the circuit, and the other is in the low voltage side.

I tested both onboard (with the voltmeter set on continuity, measuring the source/drain, touching the gate, then measuring again the source/drain). I believed that this was the part that was defective. So I bought a new MOSFET and just replaced it.

Sadly, no luck. Mixer is still DOA :(

I'm not sure how else to test this device at this point.

If someone here is familiar with switching power supplies (or even better if you have experience repairing musical equipment) I wouldn't mind a hand.

I can provide pics of everything if it help.

izon

Joined Mar 17, 2013
Check out Soundcraft.com . They have a tech support number. Also Google shows a few sites when you use "Soundcraft EFX8 service manual" in a search that provide a free download giving a manual with full schematics.
Hope this helps.