Hello all,
I'm new here and fairly new to the world of electronics in general. I'm trying to teach myself a lot of the basics so please bear with me.
I'm trying to use my arduino to detect a 'pulse' of light from an LED, housed in an electricity meter. The LED in the meter pulses once for about 250ms for every 100watt of electricity used.
I want to use my Arduino to 'count' those pulses.
I've been trying to wire up a phototransistor to both an analogue and a digital input (though, not at the same time!). Ideally, I'd like it to be wired to a digital input so that I can use a hardware interrupt but that is not essential.
Currently, I've been experimenting with the following components from RS (www.rswww.com):
654-8031 Phototransistor,5mm,Half Angle 25deg
654-7993 Phototransistor, Sidelooker,35deg,LPT80A
What I need to understand is the basics of phototransistors and how to improve the sensitivity of the devices - and how I might go about wiring them to the arduino to get the results I desire. I gather that changing the resistor to ground can increase the sensitivity, but also lower the response time. I don't know if that's correct, or what the relationship is between those two circumstances but I'd be very eager to learn if anyone can offer some advice?
Many thanks in advance,
Richard.
I'm new here and fairly new to the world of electronics in general. I'm trying to teach myself a lot of the basics so please bear with me.
I'm trying to use my arduino to detect a 'pulse' of light from an LED, housed in an electricity meter. The LED in the meter pulses once for about 250ms for every 100watt of electricity used.
I want to use my Arduino to 'count' those pulses.
I've been trying to wire up a phototransistor to both an analogue and a digital input (though, not at the same time!). Ideally, I'd like it to be wired to a digital input so that I can use a hardware interrupt but that is not essential.
Currently, I've been experimenting with the following components from RS (www.rswww.com):
654-8031 Phototransistor,5mm,Half Angle 25deg
654-7993 Phototransistor, Sidelooker,35deg,LPT80A
What I need to understand is the basics of phototransistors and how to improve the sensitivity of the devices - and how I might go about wiring them to the arduino to get the results I desire. I gather that changing the resistor to ground can increase the sensitivity, but also lower the response time. I don't know if that's correct, or what the relationship is between those two circumstances but I'd be very eager to learn if anyone can offer some advice?
Many thanks in advance,
Richard.