Help with 12V (Automovite) to 5V converter with time delay

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by HiloDB1, Apr 27, 2018.

1. HiloDB1

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 27, 2018
    Moderator's note: This post was split off of https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...y-and-dc-to-dc-step-down.144411/#post-1264464 to create this new thread.

I have a similar question. I need a step down converter from 12v to 5v with a built in time delay.

AnalogKid for my circuit:
    1. The source would be a nominal 12v DC and GND from a vehicle battery/charging system with a voltage range from 11.8v up to 14.8v DC.
    2. Load side would be 5v DC to power a LED pixel controller and LED pixels.
    3. Current would be up to 10A of draw.
    In my case I am looking at time delay relay that will have constant power to it and a 12v signal that would trigger the time delay relay to turn on then a step down in voltage to power the LED pixel controller and LED's

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2018
  2. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
  3. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi Hilo,
    What time delay period is required, fixed/variable , single shot or recycling.?
    Is that 5V at 10Amp.?
    E

4. HiloDB1

Apr 27, 2018
    I would opt for a variable time delay as I have not come up with my lighting scheme/sequence yet.

Variable time delay as noted above. Not sure about single shot or recycling. 10A at 5V is on the high side as I just want to make sure I have the current available in case my lighting scheme changes.

A little more information on what Im doing. The lights will be triggered by the 12V blinker single from the car. I would like the delay relay to stay on as long as its keeps getting signal from the blinker of the car. Once the blinker cycle is finished a predetermined time (variable) that it will stay on before it shuts off. Im not sure what the timing will be as I still need to come up with my lighting pattern and figure out the amount of time I need delayed in order for it to go through a full cycle of the pattern.

Thanks!

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    How about, once the cycle starts, having the circuit automatically stay on until the cycle has finished?

What will control the cycle sequence?

6. HiloDB1

Apr 27, 2018
  7. HiloDB1

Apr 27, 2018
    I actually have a time delay that is in the car now doing sort of what I am looking for. But it has no time delay adjustment or voltage step down.

Sorry its in Nihongo (Japanese)
    http://shinem.jp/shopdetail/004000000001/

So my other option is to buy another module like that and a buck converter and stick it in a box with the LED pixel controller. But I'm hoping to simply things and not have so many separate components.

Thanks!

8. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    That's probably true.
    You have three distinct functions, and it's not likely you will find them in a single package unless you build it yourself, and that's a reasonably complex project.