Help! where to find this kind of wire!

vlobo

Joined Jul 30, 2017
Hi! Could you please help me to find where to buy rigid cable for pipelines inspection video camera? This kind of cable is rigid fiberglass inside with 5 wires for connecting the camera. Thanks a lot in advance

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Rigid cable? How will that go through a pipe line? Any I've ever seen is flexible, like this - http://www.dohenycompanies.com/equipment/product-information/minicam-proteus/cable-reels/
Rigid or flexible? The exact definition depends on your requirements.

The cable has to be rigid enough to be pushed down a pipe and flexible enough to get around corners. The cable I am familiar does have a fiberglass rod down the center. Imagine a thin fishing rod.

I don't know the minimum diameter for the cable I saw but it did coil around a reel like the ones shown in your link.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Hi! Could you please help me to find where to buy rigid cable for pipelines inspection video camera?
Is this for a specific inspection system? If it is you may be best off buying the cable from the inspection system manufacturer.

I expect that this is custom cable and you would have to buy a huge amount to justify having any made for you.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Rigid or flexible? The exact definition depends on your requirements.

The cable has to be rigid enough to be pushed down a pipe and flexible enough to get around corners. The cable I am familiar does have a fiberglass rod down the center. Imagine a thin fishing rod.

I don't know the minimum diameter for the cable I saw but it did coil around a reel like the ones shown in your link.
I never striped the jacket off of it, but it was wrapped on a pretty small reel.

vlobo

Joined Jul 30, 2017
Yes, I mean a enough rigid cable. Of course not completely rigid, but more rigid than common electric wires because it must go 30 meters inside pipelines. It is for a Wöhler-VIS320 video camera. I try to find just the cable because i must replace the old one. I wrote directly to the brand and no answer for the moment.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009

vlobo

Joined Jul 30, 2017
I wrote to the brand and they send my email to its Spanish dealer, and the price is crazy!!
440€ (21meters cable) + 15€(delivery) + taxes = 550€ = 651$
Perhaps it is possible to find this kind of cable in other place and not die with the price??

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I wrote to the brand and they send my email to its Spanish dealer, and the price is crazy!!
440€ (21meters cable) + 15€(delivery) + taxes = 550€ = 651$
Perhaps it is possible to find this kind of cable in other place and not die with the price??
Ouch. :eek: I can see that some work finding a cheaper cable from another source of the cable makes a lot of sense.

Are you trying to repair a unit with a damaged cable or making an inspection system from scratch? Cable from another inspection system might be cheaper if you can put your own connectors on it.

Be warned. Keeping fluids out of the camera is not an easy task. There are more ways for a leak than you can imagine. :(

vlobo

Joined Jul 30, 2017
Ouch. :eek: I can see that some work finding a cheaper cable from another source of the cable makes a lot of sense.

Are you trying to repair a unit with a damaged cable or making an inspection system from scratch? Cable from another inspection system might be cheaper if you can put your own connectors on it.

Be warned. Keeping fluids out of the camera is not an easy task. There are more ways for a leak than you can imagine. :(
It is for repair the camera I use in my job, cleaning chimneys. I can manage for put my connectors, but I don't know where to find and buy this kind of cable or similar.