Help Vibrate

micro

Joined Feb 10, 2006
I need a vibration motor but I cannot find it. May I know can I modify a DC motor or stepper motor to be a vibration motor? If it is possible, how do I modify it? Thanks.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by micro@Apr 22 2006, 12:41 PM
I need a vibration motor but I cannot find it. May I know can I modify a DC motor or stepper motor to be a vibration motor? If it is possible, how do I modify it? Thanks.
[post=16408]Quoted post[/post]​
Ever seen a vibra-motor from a cell phone? It is just an usual dc motor with some weight on the shaft, but the weight is off axis to make it vibrate.

If you have for example some motor from a toy with gears, you take the motor with the gear attached on the shaft and cut part (a half) of the wheel to make it imbalanced.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
I usually use electrical screw terminal (cut one from a block), select the size that will fit the motor shaft. Get rid of the insulating plastic. Screw the motor shaft in one side and screw a load (piece of metal) in the other side. Make sure the load is unbalanced and the weight is appropriate.

Don't use stepper motor, cheap DC motor will do. You can scavenge one from broken tape player or whatever.

dbwgwee

Joined Mar 30, 2006
Originally posted by n9352527@Apr 22 2006, 07:07 AM
I usually use electrical screw terminal (cut one from a block), select the size that will fit the motor shaft. Get rid of the insulating plastic. Screw the motor shaft in one side and screw a load (piece of metal) in the other side. Make sure the load is unbalanced and the weight is appropriate.

Don't use stepper motor, cheap DC motor will do. You can scavenge one from broken tape player or whatever.
[post=16411]Quoted post[/post]​
Would this be applicable for a "back massager" as well?

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by dbwgwee@Apr 23 2006, 05:03 PM
Would this be applicable for a "back massager" as well?
[post=16448]Quoted post[/post]​
Sure... just make sure that you put the motor inside an appropriate case. You don't want the metal load to tear your "back", do you?

micro

Joined Feb 10, 2006
Thanks for your kind help. I have a look on pager and cell phone vibration motor. I think it is not enough vibration because I need it to vibrate a 2 - 3kg things. May I know what type of motor can I use or how do I modify DC motor to become vibration motor? Thanks.

micro

Joined Feb 10, 2006
Thanks n9352527. Do you have the picture? Can you show me your motor
picture because I'm not quite understand? What is electrical screw terminal? Thank you first for your kind help. :)

micro

Joined Feb 10, 2006
Originally posted by n9352527@Apr 22 2006, 09:07 AM

[post=16411]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks n9352527. Do you have the picture? Can you show me your motor
picture because I'm not quite understand? What is electrical screw terminal? Thank you first for your kind help.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by micro@Apr 24 2006, 02:15 AM
Thanks for your kind help. I have a look on pager and cell phone vibration motor. I think it is not enough vibration because I need it to vibrate a 2 - 3kg things. May I know what type of motor can I use or how do I modify DC motor to become vibration motor? Thanks.
[post=16456]Quoted post[/post]​
Ah... If you'd mentioned the load would be 2-3kg then I wouldn't suggest the screw terminal block in the first place. It is just a block of terminal used to connect electrical wires in distribution (an example is here). It is quite small and only suitable for small motor and load. I had one with a 6V tape player motor and a small metal load connected.

If you need to vibrate up to 3kg load, you would need a proper chuck/mechanism to connect the load to the shaft to withstand the load _and_ you would need a motor with reinforced shaft bearing. As you can imagine vibrating 3kg load would exert quite substantial lateral force, depending on the speed.

May I ask why do you need the load to be so heavy?

micro

Joined Feb 10, 2006
Originally posted by n9352527@Apr 24 2006, 06:48 AM
Ah... If you'd mentioned the load would be 2-3kg then I wouldn't suggest the screw terminal block in the first place. It is just a block of terminal used to connect electrical wires in distribution (an example is here). It is quite small and only suitable for small motor and load. I had one with a 6V tape player motor and a small metal load connected.

If you need to vibrate up to 3kg load, you would need a proper chuck/mechanism to connect the load to the shaft to withstand the load _and_ you would need a motor with reinforced shaft bearing. As you can imagine vibrating 3kg load would exert quite substantial lateral force, depending on the speed.

May I ask why do you need the load to be so heavy?
[post=16477]Quoted post[/post]​

Sure, actually I plan to do a coin counter to vibrate the coin so that I may drop down one by one and count it. May I know how do I modify a DC motor and what size of DC motor can I use? Because I have visited many cell phone shops and toys shop to find the vibration motor and fail to find it. Thank you first for your kind help. :D

Originally posted by micro@Apr 22 2006, 09:41 PM
[post=16408]Quoted post[/post]​
I am quite amazed that the good old faithful vibrator hasn't been mentioned. Maybe the censors have been on the prowl.

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by windoze killa@Apr 25 2006, 08:58 AM
I am quite amazed that the good old faithful vibrator hasn't been mentioned. Maybe the censors have been on the prowl.
[post=16507]Quoted post[/post]​
Not in so many words... I kind of perceived that the post about "back massager" has something to do with that :p

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Originally posted by micro@Apr 25 2006, 05:49 AM
Sure, actually I plan to do a coin counter to vibrate the coin so that I may drop down one by one and count it. May I know how do I modify a DC motor and what size of DC motor can I use? Because I have visited many cell phone shops and toys shop to find the vibration motor and fail to find it. Thank you first for your kind help. :D
[post=16497]Quoted post[/post]​
I guess that´s not 2-3kg, If you would make it that not all the coins are in the same time in the vibrating part.

Secondly, I think it would be much better to use some cam on a shaft, to push into the part that should separate the coins than to use a vibrating motor.
The mechanism could be like the counter is on one side attached to a shaft, on the other is some spring an the cam, so the cam first pulls the counter up and draws the spring, then when the cam reaches the border of the counter the counter falls down and hits the first position and thus shakes the coins.
(sorry I don´t have time to draw some picture for better understanding)

dbwgwee

Joined Mar 30, 2006
Originally posted by n9352527@Apr 25 2006, 02:08 AM
Not in so many words... I kind of perceived that the post about "back massager" has something to do with that :p
[post=16509]Quoted post[/post]​
Three things can not be long hidden: The sun, the moon, and the vibrator ;)

edison27

Joined Sep 1, 2006
Hi,
I have a tiny dc vibrating motor whose specification is 1.5V-3.0V @110mA. I just want to find its armature or total resistance. how do you find the same experimentally or mathematically? If experimentally it has to be found, how do you do the same? Or approximately, for this kind of motors how much will be its resistance value in ohms?