Help Very Urgent !!!

EEEE

Joined Sep 3, 2007
hi friends

I have some questions about vhdl.. :confused: we will do one project that is about vhdl. But I don't know what can I do this language.

For example Can I do a system that do following request?

for instance I write a program(s) that work with windows then this program can I transfered to vdhl system directly??? :confused:

Or can you say me what can I do this language or concerned system??? :(

Please help me

thanks in advance..

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
You can develop your system in VHDL using an appropriate IDE on your PC and simulate its behaviour using testbenches. Your IDE and simulation package will largely be dictated to by your hardware. You can then transfer your design to your hardware - again this is dependant on your hardware and PC config.

Dave

EEEE

Joined Sep 3, 2007
You can develop your system in VHDL using an appropriate IDE on your PC and simulate its behaviour using testbenches. Your IDE and simulation package will largely be dictated to by your hardware. You can then transfer your design to your hardware - again this is dependant on your hardware and PC config.

Dave

Pardon but I cannot this abbreviation "IDE" what can you mean. Can you explain this word??

And namely if I can have appropriate pc configuration and hardware , Can I transfered a program like delphi to vhdl system directly ??

Do I understand correct??

thanks

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Pardon but I cannot this abbreviation "IDE" what can you mean. Can you explain this word??
Integrated Development Environment - a software application for designing your programme.

And namely if I can have appropriate pc configuration and hardware , Can I transfered a program like delphi to vhdl system directly ??
I'm not familiar with delphi so can't comment specifically, and I am not aware of tools that would do the transfer as you are asking.

Dave

EEEE

Joined Sep 3, 2007
Integrated Development Environment - a software application for designing your programme.

I'm not familiar with delphi so can't comment specifically, and I am not aware of tools that would do the transfer as you are asking.

Dave
I don't mean as specially delphi It can be anyone of programming languages..

Thanks for kindly reply.. ;)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
VHDL is a single purpose computer language. Virtual Hardware Development Language. It follows its own grammar and structure.

Why would you be interested in transferring code from another language, and what do you mean by that?

EEEE

Joined Sep 3, 2007
VHDL is a single purpose computer language. Virtual Hardware Development Language. It follows its own grammar and structure.

Why would you be interested in transferring code from another language, and what do you mean by that?
My friend hear this language from internet and at the university I did microprocessor with this language anyway 2 days ago he ask me this question..

He is interested in software but not assembly or c or like these.. He want to use deplhi , C++ so on etc. Also he want to control electronic cards or automation system with this cards as using these languages..

for example you think a medium that is like windows operating system .. In this system you can use every program as a results he want to make this system for this cards I wonder can he do this with this language ??? :confused:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
VHDL is a hardware description language - it describes the structure of behaviour of hardware. This is fundamentally different from software where you define logical flow of instructions.

Typically you will develop software for a platform, so you will need to keep that in mind when you write your program. The alternative is to use a language like Java which runs on a virtual machine - provided the virtual machine is installed on an OS then the code will run without modification. The issue I suppose is ensuring your target OS has a VM implementation.

Can I ask what programs you are looking at developing/writing?

Dave

EEEE

Joined Sep 3, 2007
VHDL is a hardware description language - it describes the structure of behaviour of hardware. This is fundamentally different from software where you define logical flow of instructions.

Typically you will develop software for a platform, so you will need to keep that in mind when you write your program. The alternative is to use a language like Java which runs on a virtual machine - provided the virtual machine is installed on an OS then the code will run without modification. The issue I suppose is ensuring your target OS has a VM implementation.

Can I ask what programs you are looking at developing/writing?

Dave

I will use visual basic or delphi or java... which one do they be good for us or have greater advantage than others?

and how hierarchy are there between languages?? namely where are these languages(Which language ) used ??

for example we firstly vhdl then what can we use as language??

vhdl -------->> ????---------->>>delphi(??)

please help me :(

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
You need to understand, VHDL is a hardware description language - this fundamentally different from a software programming language.

As for filling the gap in your design process, I don't know of anything that does the VHDL conversion in the way you are mentioning. The big problem is that VHDL is a concurrent language, which is again fundamentally different from software programming languages which are sequential in operation.

The only project I know of which is looking at software language to HDL integration is SystemC. It is based around C++, however I know nothing more than I have told you. A bit of research may be worth it on your part.

Dave