Help tape deck customisation

Mark Dransfield

Joined Mar 1, 2016
Hi there

i am after a little help with somthing i have never tryed b4, ere is the background.
i love making custom computers and i dicided to make a new one for my father inlaw he has this realy nice tape deck from his old stack
system that i am gonna cram a media pc into for him or maybe just keep it :D not sure yet.

but what i want to do is keep the volume knob working and the audio needle gauge thing working but i have no ideer how to do this.
but this is what i am trying to do.

the style of tape deck(no pics of right one atm)

i want to keep that volume knob working but what it needs to be hooked up to is the 2 tac switches on the Venom display from an old strike 7 keyboard
this is somthing i have never tryed to do b4.

Venom display

the 2 needle things i forget there names i would like to hook up to the left and right channel so they move with the music as they once did.
if there is any one that could help me with some advice i would be very greatfull.

many thanx

mark

DNA Robotics

Joined Jun 13, 2014
If the amplifier still works, you could connect the stereo output from the computer to the AUX or MIC input on the tape deck. The volume & VU meters should still work. But with the original electronics in the tape deck, you may not have room for your PC mother board.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Take a picture of the back of the tape deck, you maybe able to use the external inputs, like aux, or phono to listen to your music, the meters are called "VU meters."

Mark Dransfield

Joined Mar 1, 2016
sorry was not so clear on that point the thing is fragged :) i could fix it but tbh that would be just as much work as a lot of the board is burnt out.
the tape deck will be the touch screen from the venomand i will wire the other buttons on the dec to be media keys i have a tinsy laying arround that i will turn in the the play ff rw keys :)

Mark Dransfield

Joined Mar 1, 2016
thanx for the info on the VU meters :) but i think i need to be clear as i was not in the first post the deck is non functunal and is too much work
to get running even for me and i fix everthing i am stripping it and turning it in to the media pc so when i am done it will be a pc that looks like a clasic tape deck or this is my hope....

this is why i would love to get the volume dial and VU meters working, for things like the tape controls i have a spare tinsy to use for media keys there :)

hope this helps some and my thanx for the sujestions

sorry for hte double post page was not loading right :S

Mark Dransfield

Joined Mar 1, 2016
any one have any tips in the volume potentiometer and how i can get it to work instead of the tack swites on the venom module,
have worked out the VU meters now i know what there called i looked up a few how to's but the volume is proving to be unherd of :S