Help :: tadao yakuza OLED screen gone bad

harley3

Joined Oct 27, 2016
Hi everyone I'm hoping I can pick your brains and someone can shed some help on my situation
I have an OLED screen/module that appears to have gone blank, how could I check this....
some help in fixing or repairing this would be very much appreciated....thanks in advance

here is a pic of the OLED screen/module and board... it plugs into a bigger board...
there is nothing wrong with the board that it plugs into the module or screen is the problem

pics below include when it worked lit up
circuit of the back...and reference pic of actual size...
can it be fixed .....o_O

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
thats what i thought
so how do i check the voltage on the pcb, ?
the board runs off a 9volt battery, but im sure the screen gets much less
Well from what I know on the board you have a dcdc converter with a coil (the SOT23 device with 5 pins).
Try to measure the voltage on its output capacitor.

harley3

Joined Oct 27, 2016
Try lighter fluid on the small IC so you can see the type number clearly but guess its the 4.7uF on the left side
first off thanks so much for your replies takao :cool:
is there a PM option on this forum because i cant find it...?
anyways i can see the numbers pretty clear and your correct its 4.7uf
so how do i go about checking them with a meter i tried doing so before posting for help
not sure why im getting no reading on any IC...or i don't have the meter set properly... ?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Do you power up the board? You should see voltage on some capacitors. I dont know the smaller ones maybe for the OLED itself. Its maybe broken and cheaper to get a new one, if you cant fix it in a simple way.

But if you dont get voltage out from the IC this could have a few reasons, mainly this IC could be broken or no supply from the main circuit.

harley3

Joined Oct 27, 2016
Do you power up the board? You should see voltage on some capacitors. I dont know the smaller ones maybe for the OLED itself. Its maybe broken and cheaper to get a new one, if you cant fix it in a simple way.

But if you dont get voltage out from the IC this could have a few reasons, mainly this IC could be broken or no supply from the main circuit.
unfortunately i cant get a new one the company no longer is in business tried that....:(
that's why i joined here in hopes of a repair..if possible
cant plug in the screen and check the power from the rear, ones plunged in i have no access to the IC...no space
i did notice that when it is plugged in the screen even though its not working seems to generate some heat...o_O

is there another way to check the resistance on the IC's...?
here is what it looks like plugged into the main board

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
yes you need adapter wire with pins on one end, socket on the other, these are sold for Arduino

Actually I have Y 3 way splitter PCBs 7 pin

If you dont have one of these you can still handle the small board while on wires and check with DMM

In the worst case you could temporarily solder wires between the display and main board

harley3

Joined Oct 27, 2016
yes you need adapter wire with pins on one end, socket on the other, these are sold for Arduino

Actually I have Y 3 way splitter PCBs 7 pin

If you dont have one of these you can still handle the small board while on wires and check with DMM

In the worst case you could temporarily solder wires between the display and main board
ahhh ok i gotcha
so after this hook up what do I look for when testing all the IC..?
sorry im new to this lingual what is DMM...:confused:
thanks for taking the time takao I do appreciate it...;)

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Digital multimeter.

Id check the output of the small IC and probably thats routed to the 4.7uF capacitor.

Replacing the glass display is probably too difficult to solder for you, it is plugged into a socket or is the cable soldered on the PCB?

Check the input voltage too, so it would be good if you can find the type number of the IC. If not you have to guess search for hints on the carrier PCB.

harley3

Joined Oct 27, 2016
it might be a bad glass ive read quite a few stores on another forum complaining about the same thing
probably why the company went out of business these board were suppose to be lifetime warranty....:mad:
i read even though they sat around unused when they were turned back on the screens were blank like mine..
so something is going on ether with the screen itself or the module...
here are some links if you care to read through them, also some guy out in Sweden i think he's in Sweden has some form of repair
for these boards with a replacement screen/module...he has a facebook page i don't have face book nor will i get one...
worst case scenario i might get someone i know to send him a message...one other thing the boards he fixes has a USB port to
re-flash the board mine does not...

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4269025
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4784305
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4502497
https://www.facebook.com/TheSwedeTechnologies/