Help!!!semiconductors Theory

steeve_wai

Joined Sep 13, 2007
can anybody suggest good references for electronic devices and circuits other than by millman and halkias.the book(s) should avoid quantum physics and should be written from an engineers point of view.i HATE that book by david a neaman ... its meant for phd's and NOT undergraduates.

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Well, aproaching semiconductor theory avoiding quantum physics would be like visiting Rome without seing the Pope. Lets just say that quantum physics explain why transistors work (I don't know this theory in detail).

steeve_wai

Joined Sep 13, 2007
ok what are the prerequisites for understanding quantum mechanics...the physics and the maths.i am willing to tackle it but not in too much detail,only the part(s) that are needed at the engineering level. i have seen BOYLESTAD(OK),SM SZE(TOO MUCH DETAIL), and in the end i am left with tid bits of information but NO UNDERSTANDING OR KNOWLEDGE OF THE SUBJECT.indian authors arent of much help either.can you give me links to any website that covers the subject from a practical point of view.i read millman and halkias...and ended up leaving the book just after the part that describes bjt currents in detail...can you really tell me what happens inside a bjt...

steeve_wai

Joined Sep 13, 2007
here are some of my questions...there will be more,im sure if i make good progress in the subject...

1)can we measure the junction voltage of a diode?give reasons.
2)what is transistor action? what did we achieve by transferring currrent to an output circuit with higher resistance.
3)the bjt in common emitter works as a current amplifier...right...Ib is small and Ic is big...why not use a diode instead and use the entire current instead of Ic which is a fraction of Ie.
4)how does the bjt work as a voltage amplifier,current amp,power amp.also show that these amplifications do not violate energy conservation?
5)

steeve_wai

Joined Sep 13, 2007
here are some of my questions...there will be more,im sure if i make good progress in the subject...

1)can we measure the junction voltage of a diode?give reasons.
2)what is transistor action? what did we achieve by transferring currrent to an output circuit with higher resistance.
3)the bjt in common emitter works as a current amplifier...right...Ib is small and Ic is big...why not use a diode instead and use the entire current instead of Ic which is a fraction of Ie.
4)how does the bjt work as a voltage amplifier,current amp,power amp.also show that these amplifications do not violate energy conservation?
5)WHAT PROMPTED THE INVENTION OF THE BJT?

steeve_wai

Joined Sep 13, 2007
indian books are ususally bad...i dont read bakshi,katre or any other such stuff...even boylestad is insufficient..anyway thanks...

1) Yes, it can be measured. I don't know what reasons you want.
2) Usually, transistor circuits show an output impedance that's lower or much lower than the input impedance. But there are exceptions.
3) How do you control the signal through a diode with another signal? That's the point in amplifying a signal.
4) You'll have to study either electronics or semiconductor physics more thoroughly to get an answer to this question. The BJT does not violate conservation laws because your signal isn't amplified all by itself, without external power. Instead, the BJT modulates the power supply according to the input signal.

P.S.: You should edit your posts if you forget something, rather than reposting the whole message.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
ok what are the prerequisites for understanding quantum mechanics...the physics and the maths.i am willing to tackle it but not in too much detail,only the part(s) that are needed at the engineering level. i have seen BOYLESTAD(OK),SM SZE(TOO MUCH DETAIL), and in the end i am left with tid bits of information but NO UNDERSTANDING OR KNOWLEDGE OF THE SUBJECT.indian authors arent of much help either.can you give me links to any website that covers the subject from a practical point of view.i read millman and halkias...and ended up leaving the book just after the part that describes bjt currents in detail...can you really tell me what happens inside a bjt...
I think that what you want borders on the impossible. It's like you want a wife and children without making the necessary investment in the relationship. From an engineering point of view the operation of a transistor is interesting but of little practical value. I think it is a bit strange that you find Milman & Halkias impenetrable. The consensus among my peers is that they are first rate.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
can anybody suggest good references for electronic devices and circuits other than by millman and halkias.the book(s) should avoid quantum physics and should be written from an engineers point of view.i HATE that book by david a neaman ... its meant for phd's and NOT undergraduates.
The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill; expensive and a little outdated, but exactly what you want.

Dave

The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill; expensive and a little outdated, but exactly what you want.
I second that. But read it thoroughly and pay attention. Some things are okay to skip, some aren't (and you rarely know when you made the right decision). Don't just head to the common-emitter amplifier and don't just stop there. Read the whole chapter on BJTs.

BTW, mine is "Art of Electronics, 2nd edition, Cambridge Low Price Editions". I bought it for ~ $36 (converted from local currency) from an old books shop (used, but in very good condition). I don't think it's outdated for what you need.

The nice thing about it is that it has both good and bad example circuits, so you get an idea what not to do. There's almost no physics in it, but there is some math content. You can skip the mathematical proofs and only look at the results, but I wouldn't recommend it.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Don't forget there is a student workbook that can accompany the text book with worked examples.

Has anyone heard of anything more on an update to AOE?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I second that. But read it thoroughly and pay attention. Some things are okay to skip, some aren't (and you rarely know when you made the right decision). Don't just head to the common-emitter amplifier and don't just stop there. Read the whole chapter on BJTs.

BTW, mine is "Art of Electronics, 2nd edition, Cambridge Low Price Editions". I bought it for ~ $36 (converted from local currency) from an old books shop (used, but in very good condition). I don't think it's outdated for what you need.
Yes, just to clarify my point here - when I said it is outdated I was referring to the fact that it was written in 1989 meaning many of the more recent topics (particularly in the digital world) are outdated. Eduard is correct, it is not outdated for the fundamentals which ultimately is what the OP is looking at.

Has anyone heard of anything more on an update to AOE?
Sadly not, and I have not seen anything in the press or on newsgroups about a 3rd edition. Given it is 18 years since release it is long overdue, however the authors may feel that a 3rd edition may warrant a rewrite rendering a new release not forthcoming.

Dave