Help please. 13A line switcher

cells

Joined Oct 19, 2008
Hi everyone

Some assistance would be greatly appreciated

I have two heaters both are 13A at 230V

The total Amps to the area are very limited I would like to set up a way that both are not on at the same time. Ideally with eletricity supplied to one for 5 mins then the other for 5 mins and so on. Or even 1 min cycle from one to the other

I thought a digital timer might work but those are limited to only a certain number of on off programs per day

The best thing would be if I could change the elements from 13A to 6.5A but I don't think that would be possible

Any ideas and am a relative novice

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi everyone

Some assistance would be greatly appreciated

I have two heaters both are 13A at 230V

The total Amps to the area are very limited I would like to set up a way that both are not on at the same time. Ideally with eletricity supplied to one for 5 mins then the other for 5 mins and so on. Or even 1 min cycle from one to the other

I thought a digital timer might work but those are limited to only a certain number of on off programs per day

The best thing would be if I could change the elements from 13A to 6.5A but I don't think that would be possible

Any ideas and am a relative novice
I don't see much in the way of easy solutions for a novice. In the industrial control arena they have on-delay and off-delay timers with AC outputs. Be prepared to open your wallet for these devices -- they are pricey.

https://www.grainger.com/category/e...p.ds&msclkid=98a0472a650f17ae1cd726aa3e3a0bc4

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You are looking at two 3.0 KW heaters. With 5 min on and 5 min off isn't that a little frequent? one would hardly have cooled down before it was called for heat again. How are they currently switched? If I wanted to do this I would likely just use a pair of SSR (Solid State Relays) for switching. I would use SSRs with a 3 - 32 VDC control rated for 240 VAC and 20 Amp switching. The link is merely an example. They can be had for much lower cost, I just used Crydom for industrial applications where quality and reliability was paramount. Use a repeat cycle timer having a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) relay output and alternate which SSR is turned on for a preset time interval. Your mains power is switched upstream of all of the logic and mains power to the SSRs. Most of this can be done modular using off the shelf components. This is all a rough concept of how to go about what I think you want to do.

Ron