Help please - 12V 555 timer - trigger with 3V signal

dageonyar

Joined Feb 19, 2013
Hi. I'm trying to trigger a 555 timer setup to output a single-shot 12V pulse. The problem I have is, the trigger is a 3.3V output, which isn't high enough to pull the trigger input high, so my 555 is always triggered. This circuit works perfect for me when I use a 12V trigger, but not the 3.3V. I don't think my 3.3V output is open-collector. A 12V 10K pull-up didn't work. Any help appreciated.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
You know that the 555 trigger operates on a low-going pulse, right?

A logic level MOSFET should work to switch the 555 trigger low, but you may need an inverter in front of it.

I just noticed: the reset pin on the 555 should be tied high.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Ok, I'll tie RST high. I think the datasheet mentioned that was optional.

My 3.3V device actually drives 2.95 when inactive, and drives low (0.33V) when active. It's a IQS127D capacitive switch

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/42/iqs127_datasheet-7419.pdf

Not sure if I have any MOSFETs in my kit. I have some NPN and PNP transistors, and some JFETs.
Yeah, I don't think the reset pin is the cause of your problem, but it's better to keep it from floating.

You might be able to do what you want with a transistor inverting switch circuit. Google around and see what you find.

Or maybe someone here has a working circuit, and will post it.

I'll look, too.

dageonyar

Joined Feb 19, 2013
Does this look right? Doesn't appear to be working. When I turn it on, I have ~3V at the output of my controller, but 0.03V at pin 2 of the 555. When I activate my controller, I see 0.0V at the input.

Last edited:

dageonyar

Joined Feb 19, 2013
Ah, got it! Looks like the 10K at the front was a bit too much. By removing that seems to have fixed it. My controller output is limited to 1mA anyway, so I think I should be safe?

I do however have a power-on glitch that enables my relay on first power up, and then it de-activates properly after 3 seconds. Not sure if it's a glitch on the RST pin, or output at my controller. I added a 6.8nf cap on pin 4 to GND. Perhaps not enough?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
Ah, got it! Looks like the 10K at the front was a bit too much. By removing that seems to have fixed it. My controller output is limited to 1mA anyway, so I think I should be safe?

I do however have a power-on glitch that enables my relay on first power up, and then it de-activates properly after 3 seconds. Not sure if it's a glitch on the RST pin, or output at my controller. I added a 6.8nf cap on pin 4 to GND. Perhaps not enough?
Try a 100k from pin 4 to Vcc and a 1uF cap from pin 4 to ground.

Evil Lurker

Joined Aug 25, 2011
Why mess with a bunch of transistors when all you need is a trim pot going off pin 5 to ground and simply compensate by increasing the resistance going into your timing capacitor?

Remember 555's got an internal 5k-5k-5k voltage divider going to its two internal comparators and you have direct access to the upper one via pin 5. By adding a trim pot coming off pin 5 going to ground you can reduce the voltage on pin 5 and change the upper comparators normal trip point of 8v running off a 12v supply to say, 6 volts. Slap two 5k resistors in series on 6 volts, what do ya get? 3V at the lower divider/comparator. That means your input source will now be capable of pulling the pin sufficiently high after generating a trigger pulse to initiate a new timing cycle. The only catch is it changes your RC time constant, so you will need charge up your timing capacitor slower, hence the need for more resistance.