Help on Z86E04 using up/down counter!!

meczs

Joined Feb 28, 2007
How can i put a sensor for that circuit.... Putting a sensor in push button switches??? or putting it on Z86E04 ic?? what i mean is, can you give me an idea for automatically counting up or down, not using the switches... thankz

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
How can i put a sensor for that circuit.... Putting a sensor in push button switches??? or putting it on Z86E04 ic?? what i mean is, can you give me an idea for automatically counting up or down, not using the switches... thankz
You need to calm down, slow down, backup, and take a deep breath. Now you have a sensor with some properties and you want to count something which gives an indication of weather the count should go up or down. In order to help you we need more information. Tell us what kind of sensor you have. A picture or a drawing would help. A datasheet would be helpful. A schematic diagram of how you want to connect it to your Z8 would be a good idea. When you reply please try to write in complete sentences and paragraphs with appropriate puntuation. It is ever so much easier when we don't have to decode your message. Double or triple question marks are never appropriate.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
"just a simple sensor" is hardly a meaningful description. Is it a dry contact switch, is it powered, is it an analog sensor? C'mon get on the stick and provides some meaningful information.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
A switch is a simple sensor. So is a strain gage or a thermistor or a light dependant resistor. Both thermocouple and microphone are pretty simple sensors. A geiger tube is fairly simple, if expensive.

Mayhap what is needed here is a sensor that can discern "simple" versus "complex." That would be a "simple sensor.":D

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
You will need to select a sensor with very low resistance when it is sensing and very high resistance when it is not sensing.

Example 1: If using a thermistor to detect the frequency of volcanic eruptions, you would want an NTC thermistor and not a PTC thermistor. The PTC thermister would instead come in handy to detect the advance and retreat of polar ice caps over a several millenia period.

Example 2: If using a PIR to detect basketballs being thrown through the air, you would want to use the "NO" contact of the form C relay instead of the "NC" contact.

Example 3: If using a strain gage to measure your offspring jumping up and down on the trampoline, you would need to amplify the voltage across the strain gage with an instrumentation amplifier and use the signal developed to control a switching transistor.

Once gain... please define what you mean by "sensor." Answering your quesiton requires knowing what kind of sensor you are using. If you want a suggestion for sensor type, then answering your question requires knowing what you intend to sense. There are literally hundreds of options.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
On the Z86E04 pins 8,9, and 10 are dedicated inputs P31, P32, and P33. You can configure them a digital inputs, analog comparator inputs, or as interrupt inputs. When used as analog comparators P33 must be used as a reference input so I don't think that configuration will work for you.

If you use the three pins as digital inputs then you will need to debounce the switch inputs. This means you need to detect several samples in row at the same state. The samples need to be several milliseconds apart. The total bounce time should be on the order of 8 to 30 milliseconds. Using the inputs as interrupts is another way to do the debouncing but is a bit more complicated to debug. How were you planning to debug this process? Edit, compile, and burn?

meczs

Joined Feb 28, 2007
our project is about a miniature of automated parking garage. We use the up/down counter kit. Then we want a sensor that can count a car when enter/exit the parking garage. Just like a schem i post, what will i do first?
Thankz

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
First, choose a sensor.

You could try one of these: http://www.sensourceinc.com/PDF/SS-MS30 Vehicle Sensor.pdf

Or one of these: http://www.ssec.honeywell.com/magnetic/datasheets/an218.pdf

Or perhaps one of these: http://www.glasupply.com/products/vehicledetectionsensor.asp

Or check Google for dozens more. Try the search terms "automobile detection" or "automobile magnetic detection."

After you have chosen a sensor, we can talk about how to integrate it into your circuit. You must choose a sensor first, since each will have different requirements when being integrated into your circuit. Your first step, therefore, is to select which sensor you will use.