Help Needed for Identifying an Object

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Based on what I do see in the expanded view of the picture the device has a multi-pin connector on the bottom that is frequently used with microphones. BUT the other end, with the light colored blob on a flat part, is totally a blind guess.
It is only because of experience with similar connectors that I can guess the size of the thing. It might possibly be a custom made microphone, but without a better resolution view of that white blob that is only a blind guess.

Ohmlandia

Joined Mar 2, 2020
Might be some kind of UHF antenna. The coloured blob might indicate the frequency or channel. Need to see the pins in the connector and resistance measurements between them.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Might be some kind of UHF antenna. The coloured blob might indicate the frequency or channel. Need to see the pins in the connector and resistance measurements between them.
It is NOT an antenna, that is a multi-pin connector at the bottom, and the flat section at the top appears to be soldered on.
Additional views will clarify what it really is, we mostly need a side and possibly a top view of that end. A view of the connector pins will be useful but less valuable than nore views of the opposite end.

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
i speculate it's gas or liquid chemical sensor (because of this white pad) . . . or less likely a temperature sensor . . . even less likely a some sort of telemetry Gizmo

Pax_Electronica

Joined Oct 18, 2019
Thank you all for the replies. Here is the picture of the connector. The words at the bottom are "Chicago USA" and "Amphenol", the latter is a large maker of electrical connectors. The tube seems to be made of brass. It comes with two lengths. This one is about 6" and the other 23". The disk has the color and texture of a piezoelectric buzzer.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Thank you all for the replies. Here is the picture of the connector. The words at the bottom are "Chicago USA" and "Amphenol", the latter is a large maker of electrical connectors. The tube seems to be made of brass. It comes with two lengths. This one is about 6" and the other 23". The disk has the color and texture of a piezoelectric buzzer.
OK, if the disc is a piezoelectric material then it is some sort of microphone or acoustic pickup, or possibly a sound generator. I have some SHURE brand microphones of about those lengths, but they look much different.
If it has a standard microphone connection scheme then pin #1 is the shield and pins #2 and #3 are the output signal. So now you have some clues.

Pax_Electronica

Joined Oct 18, 2019
Found it!
It turns out to be a light source. It is an electroluminescence Panalescent lamp by Sylvania that emits light uniformly over an area.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://jamanetwork.com/journals/OPHTH/articlepdf/627640/archopht_72_1_006.pdf&psig=AOvVaw3Cp0tN7N7mQp95zfX3zAYB&ust=1585622008310000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CA0QjhxqFwoTCKjoruCWwegCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAN

I think it is called Panelescent, the author made a spelling error.
https://www.scribd.com/document/195...roluminescent-Panelescent-Lamps-Brochure-1961

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, I have seen some of those light sources MANY years ago. Like the 1960's. The emitters required a higher voltage at a higher frequency, several hundred Hz.
From the construction it was obviously not an antenna, the connector was totally wrong for an antenna. Interesting, though.
Is the rest of the system available? It would be interesting to see.

Pax_Electronica

Joined Oct 18, 2019
Sorry for the late response. Here are the pictures of the Lumiwand. The handle holds a 9V battery and driving circuit. It lights up when the button is pushed. It gives off a buzzing sound when lighting up. I guess the light it is powered by audio frequency AC.

The original battery rotted inside and I have to replace it with a standard 9V rectangular battery. The wand is less pretty but works.

Attachments