Help needed connecting DPDT reversing switch to motor

andyking33

Joined Jun 18, 2016
I am a complete novice at this. Below I have images of the switch, wiring, and motor identification plate. I feel like this should be an easy one where I just cross wires on opposite ends, but I don't want to try anything and blow the motor or something like that. Can anybody out there give me some direction? Thanks in advance!

20160618_154419.jpg 20160618_154448.jpg 20160618_145920.jpg 20160618_145942.jpg 20160617_172835.jpg 20160618_150010.jpg 20160617_172815.jpg

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Here is the switch wireing. Cross connect outside terminals, connect one motor lead to one terminal, connect the other motor lead to the adjacent terminal. Connect the power source to the two middle contacts.DPDT SWITCH WIREING.jpg

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
You need to disconnect the blue and yellow wires. Then connect the 'To Motor' wires from the diagram above to the blue and yellow wires and the 'To Power' wires from the above diagram to wherever the blue and yellow wires were originally connected.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The problem with using that DPDT switching arrangement is that you have no centre 'off' position. Flipping the switch (intentionally or accidentally) with the power on will try to reverse the motor instantaneously. That could be bad for the motor, the switch and possibly any bystanders! A motor of that size should be brought to a halt before changing direction.

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
The problem with using that DPDT switching arrangement is that you have no centre 'off' position. Flipping the switch (intentionally or accidentally) with the power on will try to reverse the motor instantaneously. That could be bad for the motor, the switch and possibly any bystanders! A motor of that size should be brought to a halt before changing direction.
If you look at the picture the switch has a center off position

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
The picture is ambiguous. The centre lines usually just denote the switch moving contact terminals.
From Wikipedia:
DPDT-DPCO.PNG
The switch should preferably be an On-Off-On type.

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
I am a complete novice at this. Below I have images of the switch, wiring, and motor identification plate. I feel like this should be an easy one where I just cross wires on opposite ends, but I don't want to try anything and blow the motor or something like that. Can anybody out there give me some direction? Thanks in advance!

View attachment 107921 View attachment 107922 View attachment 107923 View attachment 107924 View attachment 107925 View attachment 107926 View attachment 107927
While most common DPDT toggle switches are wired internally like this:

DPDT1.jpg
and your wiring would look like either of these:
DPDT2..jpg
some switches aren't configured like that internally, so before you do anything else you should toggle the switch and measure continuity to find out what's what with the switch and how to wire it. Be VERY careful with AC mains since your life or someone else's could end if you do something wrong.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Very simple standard DPDT with centre off switch shown by the OP.
BTW if this is a typical small PSC motor where both coils are identical there is a way to do it with a SPDT Ctr off toggle switch.
Max.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

I did an actuator motor one time like this, but i used a DP3T switch, where the center position was 'off' and the other two were like a DPDT which gave me forward and reverse.

That said, some transient suppressors might be a good idea too to protect the contacts from repeated high voltage arcs when the motor is turned off.

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
If you study the photo carefully you'll notice the legend plate is labeled On-Off-On...
Do I detect a little sarcasm???

Surely, careful study isn't required to determine something as blatantly obvious as that.

Moreover, since it's entirely possible for the legend plate to have been installed erroneously, that's not a good indicator of whether the switch is ON - NONE - ON or ON - OFF - ON.

However, determining that the toggle has a center position - after a little careful study of the photo - makes it obvious that the switch can't possibly be ON - NONE - ON.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I must be missing something, the switch is labeled centre off and also appears to be sitting in that position.??
i.e. three position.
Max.

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
I must be missing something, the switch is labeled centre off and also appears to be sitting in that position.??
i.e. three position.
Max.
Indeed.

However, my initial post in this thread was in response to Alec_t's: "The picture is ambiguous. The centre lines usually just denote the switch moving contact terminals."