Help modify a MOD 13 counter

northpark

Joined Oct 27, 2020
The counter is designed to count through a maximum of 16 states but has have altered it to become a MOD-13 (counter which will count through only 13 states). Discuss how the counter able to do this in real time and what considerations must you take into account to make it count to some other number that is less than 15 prior to resetting. Can somebody help me with this question plz.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Well, it's now in the homework section. The TS needs to: 1) Show the circuit; and 2) Show his best attempt at answering the question.

northpark

Joined Oct 27, 2020
Well, it's now in the homework section. The TS needs to: 1) Show the circuit; and 2) Show his best attempt at answering the question.
I have it circuit built and everything works fine.. and i have to do a conclusion ... if you can help me put that wording into layman's term, I think that's all I would need.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
The counter is designed to count through a maximum of 16 states but has have altered it to become a MOD-13 (counter which will count through only 13 states). Discuss how the counter able to do this in real time and what considerations must you take into account to make it count to some other number that is less than 15 prior to resetting.
Post the entire text of the problem and schematics for the counters so we can better understand what you're trying to describe in words. When discussing circuits, we prefer schematics.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Show us the schematic for the MOD-13 counter so we can help you answer the question. The verbal description covers a large universe of possible solutions and we cannot guide you to the solution without more information. OK for those in the cheap seats: no schematic no solution and no exceptions. Can you comply with this request?

northpark

Joined Oct 27, 2020
For the conclusion, consider the schematic that you've developed. The counter is designed to count through a maximum of 16 states but has have altered it to become a MOD-13 (counter which will count through only 13 states). Discuss how the counter able to do this in real time and what considerations must you take into account to make it count to some other number that is less than 15 prior to resetting.

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm going to guess that since you have tied the JK inputs to logic 1, that it is equivalent to having each JK flip-flop toggle on the clock edge.
The Q0 flip-flop has the clock input tiesd to logic 1. This means it will never toggle. If Q0 won't toggle, then neither will Q1. Then neither will the rest of the flip-flops toggle.

The JK flip-flop is incredibly versatile and generally when you make a counter, you want to make a synchronous counter which requires all the flip-flops to get their clock input from the same source.
I don't think your design has even a small chance of working. You need to go back to the drawing board.
You are also using the asynchronous clear incorrectly. As soon as the 7410 gate detect the terminal condition the counter is RESET. Oh...wait the counter can't count so it will never get there.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Side Note:
The JK flip-flop can do four different things:
  1. Set the Q output to a logic "1"
  2. Set the Q output to a logic "0"
  3. Leave the Q output unchanged, sometime we call the "holding the present state".
  4. Toggle the Q output. A logic "1" becomes a logic "0" and vice versa,
Each of these four actions happens to each of the four flip-flops on one of the clock edges. The selected clock edge depends on the JK flip-flop part part-number.
The asynchronous Set and clear should not be used in this application. They are not needed, in fact using them in a counter will in most cases upset the apple cart.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
THINK I GOT IT
Does your instructor grade on neatness? You have a number of unnecessary wire jogs and misaligned connections. You have 4 flip flops with essentially identical configurations for J, K, clock, and set; yet you drew them with 4 different variations.

What are your thoughts about the second part of the problem?

northpark

Joined Oct 27, 2020
Does your instructor grade on neatness? You have a number of unnecessary wire jogs and misaligned connections. You have 4 flip flops with essentially identical configurations for J, K, clock, and set; yet you drew them with 4 different variations.

What are your thoughts about the second part of the problem?
for the counter to be able to this this in real time, it had to me modified from a mod 16 counter to mod 13 counter and with the NAND gate set at 1101 to reset after 13 clock pulse...

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
for the counter to be able to this this in real time, it had to me modified from a mod 16 counter to mod 13 counter and with the NAND gate set at 1101 to reset after 13 clock pulse...
What is your attempt at answering this part of the question?
and what considerations must you take into account to make it count to some other number that is less than 15 prior to resetting.