Help me to install a LED Headlight on a AC alternator headlight output.Using a full wave Bridge Rectifier.

fahim59

Joined Jun 13, 2024
I have made a full wave bridge rectifier and added two 50V 4700 uF capacitors in parallel connection and I am getting a massive 60V output without any load. I need a stable output of 12-14V on moderate throttle. What should I do? Help me guys.

I have measured the output in different conditions. Please check that and give me the solution.IMG_20240630_222700.jpg

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Don't just delete a Thread,
other people may benefit from seeing the development process of getting to some solution that works.

A High-Power, Linear-Voltage-Regulator, mounted in a cast-Aluminum-Box,
along with several Power-Resistors and some Zener-Diodes,
is easy to make, and will provide excellent protection for your LEDs.

Do You know how to build simple Electronic-Projects ?

fahim59

Joined Jun 13, 2024
Don't just delete a Thread,
other people may benefit from seeing the development process of getting to some solution that works.

A High-Power, Linear-Voltage-Regulator, mounted in a cast-Aluminum-Box,
along with several Power-Resistors and some Zener-Diodes,
is easy to make, and will provide excellent protection for your LEDs.

Do You know how to build simple Electronic-Projects ?
No bro.I don't.What if I reduce the voltage of the capacitors to 35v and use a buck converter to step down the voltage to 14v..?

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I think what we learned is that, without a load the (DC with capacitor) gets very high. Which seems right. Probably the AC signal has a very high peak and a low average when that is no load.
I think we need a small load all the time. Maybe a small 12V lamp, light a tail lamp.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
It is possible, although it's rare,
for the Alternator Voltage to go over ~100-Volts under certain circumstances,
like a loose wiring connector.

You don't need Capacitors for anything.
If You reduce the Maximum-Voltage-Rating of any Capacitor below the Peak-Voltages present,
You run a very real risk of causing the Capacitor to explode.
Capacitors do not "Regulate" Voltage, they only temporarily "Store it" for use later.

You are not likely to find a Buck-Converter that can withstand an Input of ~60-Volts.

You have already been offered a dirt-cheap-solution back in your first Thread,
for only ~$2.00 it's worth a try to see how well it works.

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I have made a full wave bridge rectifier and added two 50V 4700 uF capacitors in parallel connection and I am getting a massive 60V output without any load. I need a stable output of 12-14V on moderate throttle. What should I do? Help me guys.

I have measured the output in different conditions. Please check that and give me the solution.View attachment 325859
I don't see how the alternators output voltage with no load is 6v and when there is a load it rises to 13v? Also what's the "Halogen" about here, I thought you were looking to use LEDs?

fahim59

Joined Jun 13, 2024
I don't see how the alternators output voltage with no load is 6v and when there is a load it rises to 13v? Also what's the "Halogen" about here, I thought you were looking to use LEDs?
Yes, I will use LED but the halogen consumes more power and works both on AC and DC.To put pressure and to get output on maximum conditions from the whole system I just experimented with the halogen.

fahim59

Joined Jun 13, 2024
Yes It seems weired to me.But it is what it is.Without any load it only gives 6V and with load it gives 13-15.

fahim59

Joined Jun 13, 2024
It is possible, although it's rare,
for the Alternator Voltage to go over ~100-Volts under certain circumstances,
like a loose wiring connector.

You don't need Capacitors for anything.
If You reduce the Maximum-Voltage-Rating of any Capacitor below the Peak-Voltages present,
You run a very real risk of causing the Capacitor to explode.
Capacitors do not "Regulate" Voltage, they only temporarily "Store it" for use later.

You are not likely to find a Buck-Converter that can withstand an Input of ~60-Volts.

You have already been offered a dirt-cheap-solution back in your first Thread,
for only ~$2.00 it's worth a try to see how well it works.
Thank you very much bro.I will try and let everyone know about the outcome.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I think we have an alternator running without a battery. In a car I have run 120Vac radios from the alternator without a battery connected.
I think the meter is tricking us. An oscilloscope will show a complex waveform, with no load, the peak is very high while the average is very low.

fahim59

Joined Jun 13, 2024
I think what we learned is that, without a load the (DC with capacitor) gets very high. Which seems right. Probably the AC signal has a very high peak and a low average when that is no load.
I think we need a small load all the time. Maybe a small 12V lamp, light a tail lamp.
You are a mind reader bro..I'm going to add a DRL and give it a try.Hope it works..

fahim59

Joined Jun 13, 2024
I think we have an alternator running without a battery. In a car I have run 120Vac radios from the alternator without a battery connected.
I think the meter is tricking us. An oscilloscope will show a complex waveform, with no load, the peak is very high while the average is very low.
No bro.It has a battry.Let me explain more.The output from the alternator first go to the RR Unit(Rectifier Regulator).From the RR Unit we get two output.One is DC for Charging the Battery and The other one is AC 12-15V to power the headlight.

fahim59

Joined Jun 13, 2024
Is this reference to the battery negative and chassis ground?
Didn't get your question properly.Chasis ground and a yellow wire from the RR Unit powers the Headlight.But the chasis ground and Battery negative isn't connected together.If I try to connect it sparks.