[HELP!] Looking to make very customized portable battery.

JML1738

Joined Dec 24, 2015
I want to build my own portable battery. Hoping someone here would be able to point me in the right direction. This is some of the things that I'd like to include.
1: On/off switch
2: Output would be a house hold outlet 3 prongs (AC outlet?)
3: possible 2nd switch for small CPU type fan to blow hot air out of battery container vent. (Don't know how hot the batteries/container would get, container would be 3D printed ABS plastic)
4: Batteries have to be able to handle 220-240 V / 50-60 Hz or 110-120 V / 50-60 Hz. (I have to double check for what the item i want to power specifically, but it would be nice if the one battery pack could work for both?)
5: Would like to maximize the portables battery life but want to limit the size of the portable battery to 7.9 inches in diameter X 2-3 inches tall. (so it would be a flat cylindrical shape portable battery)

I think that covers the basics of it! Any help from what components, the math i would need to do, any heat sink problems, how to wire up the switches, anything at all would be very much appreciated! Merry Christmas!!!

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Then why dick around converting low-Voltage DC to high-Voltage AC? Why not just run the heater directly from the battery(ies)?

JML1738

Joined Dec 24, 2015
Then why dick around converting low-Voltage DC to high-Voltage AC? Why not just run the heater directly from the battery(ies)?
Umm can you explain how you would do this? Cause the item I want to power can only be powered through wall outlet. thanks sorry im not huge into the electronics stuff

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Because heaters don't know the difference between AC and DC. Fans are another story, but you always find a fan to suit your needs.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
5: Would like to maximize the portables battery life but want to limit the size of the portable battery to 7.9 inches in diameter X 2-3 inches tall. (so it would be a flat cylindrical shape portable battery)
How long do you expect this device to run for? give us numbers.. your answer may just stop this idea right away..

and yes.. knowing the details on this heating element and its uses would be important too as staying with low voltage DC and avoiding ac conversion is a much better solution.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
I want to build my own portable battery. Hoping someone here would be able to point me in the right direction. This is some of the things that I'd like to include.
1: On/off switch
2: Output would be a house hold outlet 3 prongs (AC outlet?)
3: possible 2nd switch for small CPU type fan to blow hot air out of battery container vent. (Don't know how hot the batteries/container would get, container would be 3D printed ABS plastic)
4: Batteries have to be able to handle 220-240 V / 50-60 Hz or 110-120 V / 50-60 Hz. (I have to double check for what the item i want to power specifically, but it would be nice if the one battery pack could work for both?)

I think that covers the basics of it! Any help from what components, the math i would need to do, any heat sink problems, how to wire up the switches, anything at all would be very much appreciated! Merry Christmas!!!
here isn't already stuff like that on the market?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Running a heater off of a heavy lead battery is quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard. Luggable maybe, but portable not so much.