Help / Introduction to Relays and how to use them

Alex009

Joined Jul 2, 2014
Hello everyone,

I'm currently facing the following problem: I m having to switch a ~640 AC [200kHz max] signal. Therefore I would like to use relays.
Since I have never used a relays I would like to ask for a basic guide - which componentens are needed etc. Do you have any books [preferably Springer] which you could recommend?
I have seen some circuits using nothing but a Darlington-Array and some Relays but that seems really sparse to me.

BR
Alex

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
When using a relay for switching applications several things need considered. The Voltage you want to switch, in this case 1,000 volts to allow some headroom and the current you want to switch which you do not mention. While important your max frequency of 200 KHz isn't very high and I doubt a RF relay is needed. Next is the coil voltage or the control voltage of the relay coil. Here are some examples of high voltage switching relays. Your exact application will determine a suitable switching method. I do not know of any books on relay applications in general but I suggest you contact a relay manufacturer or distributor and speak with an applications engineer describing your exact needs in detail. For example using the above link here is their contact information.

Ron

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm currently facing the following problem: I m having to switch a ~640 AC [200kHz max] signal. Therefore I would like to use relays.
Since I have never used a relays I would like to ask for a basic guide - which componentens are needed etc. Do you have any books [preferably Springer] which you could recommend?
I have seen some circuits using nothing but a Darlington-Array and some Relays but that seems really sparse to me.

BR
Alex
HI

Modifiying circuits of 600VAC at any frequency can be very dangerous for the inexperienced (or anyone for that matter). I recommend consulting a high voltage professional to help with your needs.

eT

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
HI

Modifiying circuits of 600VAC at any frequency can be very dangerous for the inexperienced (or anyone for that matter). I recommend consulting a high voltage professional to help with your needs.

eT
Exactly! If you have to ask about how to use a relay to a bunch of anonymous people then you should not be getting anywhere near 640 VAC. And it is irresponsible for forum members to be providing advice here other than DON"T DO IT. HIRE A PROFESSIONAL!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Exactly! If you have to ask about how to use a relay to a bunch of anonymous people then you should not be getting anywhere near 640 VAC. And it is irresponsible for forum members to be providing advice here other than DON"T DO IT. HIRE A PROFESSIONAL!
But you have to admit it would make a great Youtube video, the first time it was fired up.:)

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
This reminds me when I was just a fresh faced field engineer. We were installing an environmental control system at Eastern Kentucky University. I was walking down a basement hallway with my boss. I could hear this buzzing sound from some distance away.

The buzzing was coming from the main transformers that supplied the whole campus. When we got in front of the transformers, my boss handed me a sensor and told me to climb up among the HV transformers and hookup the sensor. Basically I told him he can go to hell. I had never worded around HV before and did not know anything about it. I told him if I touched the wrong thing that I would go up in a little cloud of smoke I handed him back his sensor and told him to get an electrician qualified in HV to do it. And oh it was a union shop so I was not permitted to make a single turn on a screw anyway.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The buzzing was coming from the main transformers that supplied the whole campus.
Just being in the sub station at the facility I worked in was strange. It was the sort of I don't like being here sort of place with the constant 60 Hz hum. :) The older low sub transformers were 5 KV feeders and the new part was 13.3 KV feeders. I was involved with the new sub and we opted for the slightly more expensive 13.3 KV over the lesser 25 KV as the cost of 25 KV switch gears was unbelievable. My estimates were it would take 25 years based on usage to pay the difference.

Ron

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
It is a bit frightening to see what some people with obviously no electrical knowledge want to do.
I would also advise the get a professional! The life you save may not just be your own.